qwerty123567
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am predicted, by the end of the year (after taking another A-level this year) AAAB. I achieved fairly average gcses - getting only one 9, one 8, one 4! and the rest 6s.
I understand i'm not the strongest candidate but, on paper, I meet the Oxford entry requirements for the philosophy course I would like to be on.
Realistically, what are the chances i'm accepted, I know it's EXTREMLEY unlikley, but is it worth ago or just impossible?
Thanks so much.
liverninthered
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
First, you do know that Oxford doesn't have a philosophy course?

You can study philosophy as part of a joint course (PPE, PPL, Philosphy & Modern Languages, Philosphy and Physics, Philospy and Maths, Philosphy and Computer Science) but not on it's own.

Your a levels would be good enough for some of those courses. GCSE grades are important for Oxford. Yours may disadvantage an application, meaning you would have to do very well on the admission test and interview. However GCSEs are contextualised based on the school you went to.

It is not impossible. It's worth a go, if you'd like to study there. You have 4 other choices after all and nothing bad comes from applying and being rejected.
TeacupAndTragedy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by qwerty123567)
I am predicted, by the end of the year (after taking another A-level this year) AAAB. I achieved fairly average gcses - getting only one 9, one 8, one 4! and the rest 6s.
I understand i'm not the strongest candidate but, on paper, I meet the Oxford entry requirements for the philosophy course I would like to be on.
Realistically, what are the chances i'm accepted, I know it's EXTREMLEY unlikley, but is it worth ago or just impossible?
Thanks so much.
I think it's always worth a go. Realistically lots of applicants get rejected from Oxford, whether it be a candidate who only just met the criteria to an A*A*A* candidate. If you think you might want to go there (and a rejection wouldn't affect your motivation to study or mental health) you really have nothing to lose.
TypicalAsian21
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No it’s not worth, average Oxford candidate is triple A* predicted and straight 8/9s at GCSES, unless you are from an extremely disadvantaged area or family then ur grades are not strong enough
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by qwerty123567)
Thanks so much.
I highly doubt you even get an interview with those GCSEs to be brutally honest.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (184)
14.25%
I'm not sure (59)
4.57%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (380)
29.43%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.87%
I'm not a current university student (631)
48.88%

Watched Threads