Reading some criminology books for Law PS?

Watch
RohanHowl
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm currently reading 'Letters to a Law Student' by Nicholas J. McBride and I like it a lot. Recently, criminology and forensic psychology has really piqued my interest and I want to do some reading on criminology. I was thinking that I could share my thoughts on the topic in my PS. Would that be a good idea? Might read some books even if it's not. But if you think it can boost my PS, please suggest me some books to read as a newbie to criminology. Thanks!
RohanHowl
Rep:
?
BUMP
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you are not applying for criminology (and the unis you have chosen don't cover criminology in their modules) there is no point in reading about it for your PS
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Any books written by Andrew Ashworth are usually really good for criminology - I've read and referenced a lot of his work through my law degree.
He's written some good pieces regarding the prison system and the effects of austerity on the criminal justice system, which I found really interesting.

You'll probably have to be more specific on the aspects you find interesting though, given criminology is a very wide topic.
RohanHowl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interrobang)
If you are not applying for criminology (and the unis you have chosen don't cover criminology in their modules) there is no point in reading about it for your PS
Well that's a bummer. I'm not applying for criminology and I don't think its on the modules of the Unis I'm applying either. Could you suggest me other fields of Law which I can read? I don't really want to read the 'must-reads book for personal statement' cause they wom't really make my case stand out much.

(Original post by MidgetFever)
Any books written by Andrew Ashworth are usually really good for criminology - I've read and referenced a lot of his work through my law degree.
He's written some good pieces regarding the prison system and the effects of austerity on the criminal justice system, which I found really interesting.

You'll probably have to be more specific on the aspects you find interesting though, given criminology is a very wide topic.
I'll give it a look. Thanks!
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by RohanHowl)
Well that's a bummer. I'm not applying for criminology and I don't think its on the modules of the Unis I'm applying either. Could you suggest me other fields of Law which I can read? I don't really want to read the 'must-reads book for personal statement' cause they wom't really make my case stand out much.

I'm not a law student I'm afraid. What areas of law are you interested in? Check the reading lists of the unis you are interested in too
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by RohanHowl)

Just as a heads up - You will likely be learning at least something that touches upon criminology/socio-legal analysis of crime as Criminal Law is one of the 'required' subjects for a qualifying law degree. It may not be as in-depth as a full criminology module will be, but if it's something that interests you then it's still worth reading up on.

Not to mention LLB degrees do offer criminology modules in some universities - I've taken a fair few through my degree so far
RohanHowl
Rep:
?
(Original post by MidgetFever)
Just as a heads up - You will likely be learning at least something that touches upon criminology/socio-legal analysis of crime as Criminal Law is one of the 'required' subjects for a qualifying law degree. It may not be as in-depth as a full criminology module will be, but if it's something that interests you then it's still worth reading up on.

Not to mention LLB degrees do offer criminology modules in some universities - I've taken a fair few through my degree so far
Just checked, yeah Criminology's in the optional modules, my bad. Would Andrew Ashworth's books be good for a total beginner? Criminology by Larry Siegel and the Crime Book by DK caught my eye but I don't really know if I should pick them up. Any more suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks a lot!
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
what do you mean by share your thoughts on criminology? how does criminology inspire you to study a law degree and not a criminology degree? asking because this might be a thought that goes through the admission department’s head when they read your ps so you need to be careful.

just fyi Ashworth is a popular writer on criminal law and criminal justice (sentencing) but does not write on deviant behaviour theory or forensic psychology kinda stuff you’ve mentioned in your OP.
RohanHowl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joleee)
what do you mean by share your thoughts on criminology? how does criminology inspire you to study a law degree and not a criminology degree? asking because this might be a thought that goes through the admission department’s head when they read your ps so you need to be careful.

just fyi Ashworth is a popular writer on criminal law and criminal justice (sentencing) but does not write on deviant behaviour theory or forensic psychology kinda stuff you’ve mentioned in your OP.
I just checked and Criminology undergrad is not available as a separate degree in any of the unis I'll be applying to. However, it is available as optional modules in LLB. Well, I want to put in criminology in my PS because I find it interesting and in some way, it does encourage me to pursue a career in Law. Also, I assume not many people do reading on criminology so maybe it can make me stand out. I'll also do some reading on Criminal Law and anything else that I think will boost my chances.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (57)
14.84%
I'm not sure (14)
3.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (130)
33.85%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.56%
I'm not a current university student (177)
46.09%

Watched Threads