Making friends during lockdown

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I start uni next week. However all the classes will be online, so since I won't be meeting any other students in person I'm worried it'll be more difficult to make new friends. I also still live at home so making friends with flatmates isn't happening. I just don't want to be lonely whilst I study my course.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I start uni next week. However all the classes will be online, so since I won't be meeting any other students in person I'm worried it'll be more difficult to make new friends. I also still live at home so making friends with flatmates isn't happening. I just don't want to be lonely whilst I study my course.
Problematic, but I bet some studes wish they werent in halls.
Friends is always a challenge for a commuter.
Ask your department what it is doing and maybe offer to start off some whatsapp group or facebook group or snap chap or social media
or discord where you can chat to people who want to make friends, corusemates or commuters. You might as well give it a go. There will be lots of students in your situation so you just have to make an effort to utilise whatevers out their to help you make contact with people.
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi Anonymous
It’s totally an understandable worry to have but everyone at uni tends to be in the same boat and many people also want to make friends. A good way is to see if there are any subject chats on Facebook etc that your uni has so you can communicate with people with similar interests this way. Another idea is joining a societies, some societies this year at my uni ( Lancaster ) are doing online events / socials which could be suitable for a commuter ! There’s also other things to think about like making friends through volunteering, part time jobs, uni events ( when they can happen) !
Good look with making friends !
Student ambassador Holly at Lancaster University
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.13%
I'm not sure (26)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (179)
31.63%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.12%
I'm not a current university student (269)
47.53%

Watched Threads