The Student Room Group

OCD?

First of all I want to say that I don't want to cause offence to anyone.
I am putting this here just to write it down somewhere and get other people opinions. Essentially, I get compelled to do things, I think things like I must run up the stairs in under 10 seconds or else the world will end. I know that sounds dramatic. I always have really intrusive thoughts about what would happen if I didn't do the things I told myself to do in the time period I've allotted myself. Am I just being over dramatic?
Reply 1
You’re not being dramatic. Have you talked to a professional before and how
Long have this been going for x?
This does sound a lot like OCD, or at least some warning signs that you may be developing it. I'd recommend you go speak to your gp for a referral to mental health services. It's really nothing to be ashamed of and easier to deal with if it hasn't been going on for too long.
Original post by emilyyy270604
First of all I want to say that I don't want to cause offence to anyone.
I am putting this here just to write it down somewhere and get other people opinions. Essentially, I get compelled to do things, I think things like I must run up the stairs in under 10 seconds or else the world will end. I know that sounds dramatic. I always have really intrusive thoughts about what would happen if I didn't do the things I told myself to do in the time period I've allotted myself. Am I just being over dramatic?

that's exactly the sort of things that happen to me aswell, I didn't know that is a sign of ocd though. I hope you get it sorted soon.
(edited 3 years ago)
It's been going on for quite a long time - I can't really tell when it began, I think it's just always been there (I'm 16 for context). I've never talked to a professional about it but I think I may do as it has really ramped up over lock down etc. I think it gets worse with stress.
i have the same thing i deffo think its ocd too
Original post by mangosmoothie
that's exactly the sort of things that happen to me aswell, I didn't know that is a sign of ocd though. I hope you get it sorted soon.

I didn't know it was a sign either I thought it was just something that happened to everyone. I did a bit of googling after having a bit more of a think about it (I know Dr Google is not good but it does sometimes give you a rough idea)
Reply 7
Yes it is OCD and it would be good to seek help. If you have the means go to see a private psychotherapist as wait times on NHS are horrendous. And yes stress does make it worse. There are cd's you can get on amazon which involve relaxation exercises which do help and lots of mindfulness videos on youtube.
Original post by emilyyy270604
I didn't know it was a sign either I thought it was just something that happened to everyone. I did a bit of googling after having a bit more of a think about it (I know Dr Google is not good but it does sometimes give you a rough idea)

OCD stands for obsessive compulsive disorder. It's characterised by an intrusive (often irrational) thought and a compulsion to do a certain ritual to satisfy or get rid of the thought. If the ritual isn't done then the anxiety can be overhwhelming, to the point where you just sort of become a slave those intrusive thoughts and don't feel in control of your response / actions. Completing the ritual doesn't really help in the long run though, whilst it lessens anxiety in the moment this just reinforces to your brain the reward from that behaviour, and the intrusive thoughts will always come back and then you need to complete the action again. A professional can help teach you how to identify, manage and control your responses to your thoughts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending