My boyfriend has adhd

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I think my boyfriends adhd is ruining our relationship.. please help! Any tips on how we can improve it?
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Can you elaborate? In what ways is it affecting your relationship? I have ADHD and am hyper aware of the ways mine has affected past relationships.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Can you elaborate? In what ways is it affecting your relationship? I have ADHD and am hyper aware of the ways mine has affected past relationships.
so like he’ll have outbursts over minor issues, or says things and acts is not nice ways before he thinks, often over complicates stuff etc
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Either tolerate him and make allowances for him.

Or if you are not happy enough doing that, get a boyfriend without ADHD.

There is no magic wand that you can wave to turn him into something that he's not.

No boyfriend will ever be perfect. It's always going to be a case of whether any boyfriend is good enough overall or not.

If at any point any boyfriend is not good enough overall for you, then it's time to leave him and move onto the next.

When a boyfriend is good enough overall for you, do not try to change him. Although if he wants to change himself, by all means give him all the support you can.
Do not nag your boyfriends. Do not criticise your boyfriends too often - like about more than twice per year per topic of criticism.
Ki Yung Na
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Communication is even more important than it normally would be in this relationship.

You have to work with it, or think about moving on.

To work with it, you have to realise sensory wise - he’s not as typical as others. Best thing to do is read into it and figure out where you can help and where you cannot and then whether or not you want to be involved with him.
CosmicApathy1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think my boyfriends adhd is ruining our relationship.. please help! Any tips on how we can improve it?
It never seems to be about helping the person who actually has ADHD. It always seems to be about the person being "inconvenienced" by the other person who has ADHD smh
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
Either tolerate him and make allowances for him.

Or if you are not happy enough doing that, get a boyfriend without ADHD.

There is no magic wand that you can wave to turn him into something that he's not.

No boyfriend will ever be perfect. It's always going to be a case of whether any boyfriend is good enough overall or not.

If at any point any boyfriend is not good enough overall for you, then it's time to leave him and move onto the next.

When a boyfriend is good enough overall for you, do not try to change him. Although if he wants to change himself, by all means give him all the support you can.
Do not nag your boyfriends. Do not criticise your boyfriends too often - like about more than twice per year per topic of criticism.
I don’t try to change him I just want him to be able to control his anger, which he says he’s going to work on. I support him a lot it can just get tiring
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
so like he’ll have outbursts over minor issues, or says things and acts is not nice ways before he thinks, often over complicates stuff etc
This is super typical ADHD stuff. There are many techniques he can use to diffuse outbursts but they'll still happen because his emotional intensity is set to 11. The key as mentioned above is clear communication. I have outbursts at my partner and they're very patient with me, but they also know that when they happen, they're not necessarily directed at them. A lot of the time it's misdirection, so fussing/getting annoyed over insignificant things are usually because I'm stressed about something else.

He isn't going to change, his brain is wired this way. He's also probably gone through a lot of hardship because of the ADHD, and being held to neurotypical standards, then subsequently punished for not being able to meet them. It's great that he's trying to work on it, but if his emotional intensity is too much for you, you need to question if you can be in a relationship with a neurodivergent person.
Moonlight rain
Badges: 21
Report 3 weeks ago
I don’t try to change him I just want him to be able to control his anger, which he says he’s going to work on. I support him a lot it can just get tiring
If he can’t control his anger and it is affecting you then leave.
9/10gyal
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
either you learn about it and help him/tolerate

or leave.

its not a bad thing to leave due to that. maybe morally but who cares. although staying would probs help his situation. you're choice tbh.
Beast boy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Come to me
ChickenMadness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
ADHD can't be cured. Best he can do is manage it with a healthy lifestyle and exercises like meditation, etc. And to walk away to deal with his emotions when he's angry.

Medication can help a lot if he hasn't tried that yet.
ChickenMadness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This is super typical ADHD stuff. There are many techniques he can use to diffuse outbursts but they'll still happen because his emotional intensity is set to 11. The key as mentioned above is clear communication. I have outbursts at my partner and they're very patient with me, but they also know that when they happen, they're not necessarily directed at them. A lot of the time it's misdirection, so fussing/getting annoyed over insignificant things are usually because I'm stressed about something else.

He isn't going to change, his brain is wired this way. He's also probably gone through a lot of hardship because of the ADHD, and being held to neurotypical standards, then subsequently punished for not being able to meet them. It's great that he's trying to work on it, but if his emotional intensity is too much for you, you need to question if you can be in a relationship with a neurodivergent person.
best post
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (113)
13.85%
I'm not sure (36)
4.41%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (249)
30.51%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (398)
48.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed