Chances of being accepted into St Andrews

Watch
JohnnyJohnJohn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello everyone,

I’m just curious as to what the chances are of a mixed Scottish Nigerian like myself getting accepted based on the minimum requirements into a economics and philosophy joint honours course at St Andrews this coming September.
The standard entry is AAAAB at Scottish higher, the minimums are AABB, I don’t live in a deprived area although my family are struggling financially as me and my father are living off a pension.
I’m taking 4 highers ( English, history, sociology and psychology) and taking national 5 maths as an external candidate.
My life was pretty destroyed for a bit after I made the stupid decision to leave school at terrible time.
I really want to get into St Andrews, I feel like to only way to do that is to get 4 highers at A and Nat 5 maths (which I struggle with) at A also?

I’m 19
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'd suggest contacting the uni directly and explaining your extenuating circumstances etc in full. They are best placed to advise you, as we can only speculate.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JohnnyJohnJohn)
Hello everyone,

I’m just curious as to what the chances are of a mixed Scottish Nigerian like myself getting accepted based on the minimum requirements into a economics and philosophy joint honours course at St Andrews this coming September.
The standard entry is AAAAB at Scottish higher, the minimums are AABB, I don’t live in a deprived area although my family are struggling financially as me and my father are living off a pension.
I’m taking 4 highers ( English, history, sociology and psychology) and taking national 5 maths as an external candidate.
My life was pretty destroyed for a bit after I made the stupid decision to leave school at terrible time.
I really want to get into St Andrews, I feel like to only way to do that is to get 4 highers at A and Nat 5 maths (which I struggle with) at A also?

I’m 19
if the minimum is AABB then that is what you have to get! make absolutely 100% sure your teachers' Academic reference makes very clear your personal situation - the uni is very keen for more ethnic diversity!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (177)
28.37%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (104)
16.67%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.29%
I want to meet current students (52)
8.33%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (50)
8.01%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
20.19%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (37)
5.93%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.21%

Watched Threads