The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Not drinking at newcastle uni

I’m hoping to go to Newcastle next year (2021) is anyone else whose planning to go nervous about the reputation it has for clubbing and things?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I’m hoping to go to Newcastle next year (2021) is anyone else whose planning to go nervous about the reputation it has for clubbing and things?

Hi Anonymous,

It is great to hear you're interested in studying with us in 2021! We can't wait to welcome you already :smile:

Indeed, Newcastle upon Tyne has an excellent night-life and whilst night-time activities play an important role, Newcastle has so much more to offer! So much so, we actually have a blogpost dedicated to this. You can find out more here: https://belong.ncl.ac.uk/blog/teetotal-in-newcastle. From cinemas, theatres, green spaces, crazy golf and much much more, you will never get bored in Newcastle!

Likewise, if you'd like to get a student perspective on this, you can always chat to some of our current students via our Unibuddy platform here: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/study/contact/unibuddy/. Follow the link to be immediately connected with current students from a whole range of courses and backgrounds and ask them anything about studying at Newcastle, living in our city and much more :smile:

Hope this helps!

- Laura
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

All universities have nightlife in some shape of form so do not be put off Newcastle just for this reason. Newcastle is a fun place to be and has so much more to offer as well. It's right near the coast where there are some lovely places to visit. It's an easy train ride to Edinburgh too. It's a friendly uni with a good mixture of all different types of students.
Reply 3
When I chose my university I avoided those with a reputation for high jinx and a wild night life. Who wants to be surrounded by ****heads when you're trying to study? Many of the drinkers and revellers are weak academicaly and aren't going to get a job after their degree but I want to. For this reason, Newcastle never made it to my shortlist.
Original post by Alstoo
When I chose my university I avoided those with a reputation for high jinx and a wild night life. Who wants to be surrounded by pissheads when you're trying to study? Many of the drinkers and revellers are weak academicaly and aren't going to get a job after their degree but I want to. For this reason, Newcastle never made it to my shortlist.

How ridiculous are you?! And how dare you suggest that those who drink are weak academically. My mate gave up a place at Oxford to go to Newcastle! Do you not think for one minute that all universities have high jinx and night life?! To be honest you should open your eyes and look at the reputation of the unis with much higher intakes of privately educated kids ands see what antics they get up to! Much worse than just having a drink and some fun.
How ridiculous are you?! And how dare you suggest that those who drink are weak academically. My mate gave up a place at Oxford to go to Newcastle! Do you not think for one minute that all universities have high jinx and night life?! To be honest you should open your eyes and look at the reputation of the unis with much higher intakes of privately educated kids ands see what antics they get up to! Much worse than just having a drink and some fun.

And....Newcastle is in the top ten for graduate employment above many of the unis that you will probably consider so amazing...so get your facts straight!!!
Reply 6

If your mate chose Newcastle over Oxford then he deserves to go to Newcastle. Maybe he was inebriated at the time he made his choice, who knows? He has the rest of his life to regret his impulsivity.

There are degrees, so to speak, of partying and Newcastle is infamous for its excesses. This behaviour has nothing to do with studying and getting an education. The "student experience" is turning into expectations of Club Med fun. Students at Oxford and Cambridge do indulge in high jinx but nothing like as much as the hard drinking louts and scubbers of the north-east to be found on the streets late at night in Newcastle. Do you ever wonder why so many graduates can't get a job at Starbucks after joining in with this revelling every week and are up their eyeballs in debt?
(edited 3 years ago)
Who are you to say my mate deserved to go to Newcastle?!! It's not worth speaking to you as you clearly have your deluded view and think you are above everybody. You are accusing Newcastle students of being scrubbers and louts...and these might even be locals for all you know. To call them this is disgusting in itself. Shame on you!!! Where did you go to uni?
Reply 8
Original post by student424
Don't be such a prat! I totally agree with Anon 2. How insulting are you??!!

Watch your language. There is no need to be insulting. Newcastle is the centre of drug abuse in the UK and too many students are drawn to it. Sadly two died from drugs at the weekend after only being there for 2 days. Drugs addicts go to where there are easy drugs and look what happened. I hope that shocking tragedy is enough to satisfy you in you quest to normalise rowdy drunken drug-taking behaviour. As I said before, I chose not to go to Newcastle because I don't want to be surrounded by that swamp.
It is NOT the centre of drug abuse. You need to get your facts right. Over and out!!!!
Original post by Alstoo
When I chose my university I avoided those with a reputation for high jinx and a wild night life. Who wants to be surrounded by pissheads when you're trying to study? Many of the drinkers and revellers are weak academicaly and aren't going to get a job after their degree but I want to. For this reason, Newcastle never made it to my shortlist.

That is a bit of a hysterical over reaction.
My best friend is a student at Newcastle. She isn't a party animal, doesn't do drugs and hates nightclubs, but she loves Newcastle (under normal circumstances). She enjoys a drink now and again, but isn't a piss head, and neither are her friends.
Partying at any university, including Newcastle, is optional. Not every student at Newcastle is a party animal.
Original post by Nautilus
That is a bit of a hysterical over reaction.
My best friend is a student at Newcastle. She isn't a party animal, doesn't do drugs and hates nightclubs, but she loves Newcastle (under normal circumstances). She enjoys a drink now and again, but isn't a piss head, and neither are her friends.
Partying at any university, including Newcastle, is optional. Not every student at Newcastle is a party animal.

Absolutely agree with you.
Original post by Alstoo

I agree
**** Newcastle **** uni
**** Newcastle **** uni

Meaning?
Have you ever actually visited Newcastle? As a local to the area, I find what you’ve said actually quite insulting, granted there are some people in Newcastle who like to drink and take drugs, just like every other city in the UK. Nobody I know is like the people you have described. To say that people who like a drink are academically weak is extremely prejudiced and wrong, and I can tell you now that if you didn’t apply to Newcastle based solely on the nightlife and your own narrow mindedness, then you’ve missed out on a lot of fun! :smile:

Original post by Alstoo
Reply 16
Have you ever actually visited Newcastle? As a local to the area, I find what you’ve said actually quite insulting, granted there are some people in Newcastle who like to drink and take drugs, just like every other city in the UK. Nobody I know is like the people you have described. To say that people who like a drink are academically weak is extremely prejudiced and wrong, and I can tell you now that if you didn’t apply to Newcastle based solely on the nightlife and your own narrow mindedness, then you’ve missed out on a lot of fun! :smile:

I didn't say everybody in Newcastle behaves more badly than anyone one elsewhere. Sure there are seriosu students but Newcastle does have a reputation which attracts pleasure seekers and they are become weak-willed and indulge in the student "experience" too much. Outside university, it also has some of the worst drugs problems of any area in England. Perhaps you have grown up with this and see what is there as normal.
Original post by Alstoo
I didn't say everybody in Newcastle behaves more badly than anyone one elsewhere. Sure there are seriosu students but Newcastle does have a reputation which attracts pleasure seekers and they are become weak-willed and indulge in the student "experience" too much. Outside university, it also has some of the worst drugs problems of any area in England. Perhaps you have grown up with this and see what is there as normal.

I don't know where you get your information but you are totally wrong. Scotland has the worst drug problem in Europe. Have you even read about all the places having troubles with county lines?! I don't know why you seem to be insistent in running Newcastle down. Plenty of students are well happy with Newcastle. Your facts are wrong. I actually live in a wealthy, delightful and incredibly safe place in the UK and Newcastle has not been a problem for me one bit. It's a great city with something for everyone. If you think there are no drugs and partying going on in other universities then you really do need to do your research. Universities where you clearly think are so amazing have it all going on...
Original post by Alstoo

If you want to avoid being anywhere near anyone who has taken drugs or drunk any alcohol can I suggest that you stay at home and do an OU course instead. There are students at *EVERY* university who drink and take drugs, even Oxbridge. However, they are easy to avoid. TBH I don't think anyone at Newcastle university would miss you not going there anyway :smile:
Original post by Nautilus
If you want to avoid being anywhere near anyone who has taken drugs or drunk any alcohol can I suggest that you stay at home and do an OU course instead. There are students at *EVERY* university who drink and take drugs, even Oxbridge. However, they are easy to avoid. TBH I don't think anyone at Newcastle university would miss you not going there anyway :smile:

Absolutely agree with you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending