The Student Room Group

is it normal to lock bedroom door?

Just a general question, im living with two strangers in a student house rn, idk if its normal etiquette to lock your bedroom door at night? i don't want to seem rude like i dont trust them? (the key makes a loud noise when you lock it ) but at the same time i dont know the area well enough to feel safe enough to leave my door unlocked?
I haven't been in this exact situation before- stayed last year in student on campus accommodation where all doors lock automatically unless propped open- but I would say it is incredibly important for you to feel safe and if that means locking your door then that's absolutely fine.
Have you got to know them at all? If you chat all evening and then lock your door, I suppose it could seem a bit cold or untrusting, but if they are mainly strangers I don't find it odd at all. I think I would feel the same
Reply 2
Yea its fine do what you think is best just dont make it akward when they ask you why you lock your door maybe tell them you just do it out of habit or something.
Reply 3
I would lock it too
Yes lock your door. They are strangers - not family.
I always locked my door when I was in my room (especially at night), as my flatmate's friends would routinely forget which room was his and try random doors in the hopes of striking lucky. I didn't trust my flatmates anyway (I had no reason to as we weren't close), so it seemed obvious to lock my door.
If it makes you feel safe, lock your door, just make sure you put your key somewhere accessible ie. next to the door in case of emergency e.g. fire and you need to evacuate the building
Original post by BailyM_
Just a general question, im living with two strangers in a student house rn, idk if its normal etiquette to lock your bedroom door at night? i don't want to seem rude like i dont trust them? (the key makes a loud noise when you lock it ) but at the same time i dont know the area well enough to feel safe enough to leave my door unlocked?

Hey @BailyM_!

Its perfectly fine to lock your door at night, you're entitled to your privacy and to feel comfortable in your own room!
You could always tell your housemates to message you if they wanted to talk to you or to just knock on your door :smile:

Even when I lived with friends in a uni house we all locked our doors at night

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending