Student Parents at University

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi all, just would like some advice from you all about the future.

My partner and I are expecting a child this December, and are 17; will be 18 this academic year of course. As we don't qualify as mature students, but will still be parents, there is little information to help us really.

We want to go to university, always have wanted to, etc. My top choice is University of Leeds, to study Mathematics and Music BSc, and her's is Leeds Conservatoire to study Musical Theatre BA. The underlying issue is that we live around 4.5 hours away from Leeds.

We are entitled to the maximum maintenance loan, plus PLA, Child Benefit, and Childcare Grant. Therefore, we will have around about a 20k annual income. We're not worried about money too much, emphasis on the "too". The main issue is that, moving so far away with a child, we will have little to no family support for childcare, etc. I just would like some advice from students, and student parents about what to do in our situation. I have always been high achieving, and am predicted A*D*D*D*, for this year, but I am just worried about doing it.

Obviously, we can't stay in halls of residence, due to having a child with us. Family accommodation is an option, but has long waiting lists, and drives up our expenditure considerably. I know we would be entitled to Universal Credit, but would rather be off of that by the time we go to University due to not really wanting to deal with the DWP.

I'm kind of just blabbering on a screen, but some advice would be really handy for my partner and I.

And to point out, nowhere near us offers a Musical Theatre, or Performing Arts BA for my partner; so we're kind of forced to look further afield.

Thank you for reading
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
What about renting an apartment they tend to be the same amount as uni accomadation X
Also Congratulations! Best of luck
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
What about renting an apartment they tend to be the same amount as uni accomadation X
Also Congratulations! Best of luck
Thank you, we are looking to do that primarily! Our price range from around £300 for a 1 bed flat, to around £500-700 for a 2 bed. Then bills on top of that! It's all a bit of a ballache paha! Adulting, hey?
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
You can easily share a room with a child until they're about 2, so a one bed would be fine. Look for a flat on the outskirts, away from student housing.
I started uni when my youngest was 5 so was full time at school.
My first year of uni was so stressful and tiring, so I'd say that you and your partner should stagger your starting years.
It'll be hard work but it's definitely doable. The only time I don't have much free time is when I'm editing final work, it takes me ages. Just see it as a job and keep evenings completely free. You can do it!
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Lord I do not envy you but I do think staggering the start years might be a good idea but you will have a better idea of how you will cope after the child is born. You will both be at school/college and looking after baby so will see how it might look at uni. Childcare is your biggest problem cost and reliability.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (102)
13.37%
I'm not sure (32)
4.19%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (237)
31.06%
I have already dropped out (18)
2.36%
I'm not a current university student (374)
49.02%

Watched Threads