Should I study from home because of local lockdown?

Watch
glitterwitch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I've just arrived at Cardiff uni. Yesterday the local lockdown was announced, just as I was about to leave. I decided to go, but I already regret it. 95% of stuff is on Zoom and I only have 2 other flatmates so I haven't got many opportunities to make friends anyway. I can't join societies either. I'm getting no sleep because people keep having parties right outside my window. My anxiety is through the roof and I'm really homesick. I also think I'd be better off at home because I'm a young adult carer and will be able to help out more at home.
But I'm worried if I study from home I'll get less opportunities to make friends, and then I won't have anyone to move in with in second year.
I only have 2 weeks to decide if I want to stay in halls, otherwise I'll just have to pay for the whole year. Or I could compromise and just go home until the local lockdown is over (I'm able to because of my carer status).
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by glitterwitch)
I've just arrived at Cardiff uni. Yesterday the local lockdown was announced, just as I was about to leave. I decided to go, but I already regret it. 95% of stuff is on Zoom and I only have 2 other flatmates so I haven't got many opportunities to make friends anyway. I can't join societies either. I'm getting no sleep because people keep having parties right outside my window. My anxiety is through the roof and I'm really homesick. I also think I'd be better off at home because I'm a young adult carer and will be able to help out more at home.
But I'm worried if I study from home I'll get less opportunities to make friends, and then I won't have anyone to move in with in second year.
I only have 2 weeks to decide if I want to stay in halls, otherwise I'll just have to pay for the whole year. Or I could compromise and just go home until the local lockdown is over (I'm able to because of my carer status).
Just be aware of that date.
You could in fact just go home and take a gap and hope the situation has improved.
ZioPanEurasia
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd stay at home. That uni will turn that ****ing building in to a gulag. The institutions are following policy of global think tanks are trying to isolate people and break them away from their tribal bonds. This comes from organisations like the Tavistock Institute and this has been their intention all along with this virus hoax. Tell the uni to **** off and try to get a refund/withdraw.
Last edited by ZioPanEurasia; 4 weeks ago
camcole44
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by glitterwitch)
I know it’s easier said than done but don’t worry about making friends. I’m in the same exact boat (staying @ home) and know others on my course who are as well. Everyone will struggle to make connections this year regardless of where they live; you can still get to know your cohort through zoom/group chats. If you’re really missing home & not enjoying yourself, I’d say it’s best to go home. Put your mental health first always
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (173)
14.59%
I'm not sure (54)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (346)
29.17%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.95%
I'm not a current university student (578)
48.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed