The Student Room Group

Cambridge colleges

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Oh yes. This was Peterhouse just last week. One of our Fellows does a termly wildlife survey - you'd be surprised by what he finds!

To be fair, aren't the cows just because Cambridge held on to its cow population long after other cities kicked them out? It's certainly greener than most cities, but I hardly think a city can be called rural just for having a few live animals :tongue:
Original post by Raspberrycake86
I have a friend who’s in 3rd year engineering at Cambridge and she loves it! I understand that it may not be for everyone and there’s pros and cons for each university but it seems like you’re trying to discourage this person from applying? I know you’re just giving your advice and knowledge on it, but if they really like Cambridge that much then I don’t see why they shouldn’t just go for it :smile: .

Yeah! There's no harm in applying and at the end of the day, the scales of life are constantly tipping side to side, no one knows what's going to happen :smile:
Original post by Theloniouss
To be fair, aren't the cows just because Cambridge held on to its cow population long after other cities kicked them out? It's certainly greener than most cities, but I hardly think a city can be called rural just for having a few live animals :tongue:

Another reason to apply: cows!:tongue:
Reply 43
Original post by withproblems
I didn't ask for the entire argument about applying to Cambridge or not, I just wanted to know about the colleges lol. But I understand your point of view, thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.

I vote for John's. I graduated from john's and loved it there. That's my biased take :wink:
If I had to pick from the others, i'd probably pick Caius or Christ's. I was never really a fan of what Queens' looked like, Peterhouse is a bit small, Sidney is nice but understated and I personally found Magdalene/Trinity a bit stuck up.
Imperial doesn't offer a year in Industry

Um, they most certainly do. A lot of their engineering and science courses even offer a year in industry plus a year abroad or either of the two. Check their course list again. I'm interested in the MEng Mechanical Engineering with a year in industry and a year abroad. There's even the joint mechanical and nuclear engineering major with a year in industry.
Original post by R T
I vote for John's. I graduated from john's and loved it there. That's my biased take :wink:
If I had to pick from the others, i'd probably pick Caius or Christ's. I was never really a fan of what Queens' looked like, Peterhouse is a bit small, Sidney is nice but understated and I personally found Magdalene/Trinity a bit stuck up.

lol that's nice to know, thank you!
Original post by Daryl_01
Um, they most certainly do. A lot of their engineering and science courses even offer a year in industry plus a year abroad or either of the two. Check their course list again. I'm interested in the MEng Mechanical Engineering with a year in industry and a year abroad. There's even the joint mechanical and nuclear engineering major with a year in industry.

Oh apologies, my mistake! I might've been thinking about another course. Are you in y13? Also what are your thoughts on Imperial?
Original post by Raspberrycake86
I have a friend who’s in 3rd year engineering at Cambridge and she loves it! I understand that it may not be for everyone and there’s pros and cons for each university but it seems like you’re trying to discourage this person from applying? I know you’re just giving your advice and knowledge on it, but if they really like Cambridge that much then I don’t see why they shouldn’t just go for it :smile: .

Can you please quote where I said they should NOT apply? I just asked the OP why he was applying ... I'd support any student of mine who said they wanted to go to Oxbridge and it's still popular for Maths ... I've been running STEP and MAT prep for several months already for the 2021 entrants.
Original post by Muttley79
Can you please quote where I said they should NOT apply? I just asked the OP why he was applying ... I'd support any student of mine who said they wanted to go to Oxbridge and it's still popular for Maths ... I've been running STEP and MAT prep for several months already for the 2021 entrants.

*SHE

I mean, that's true. I think it is more rural, though - the city itself is quite small, so you can cycle to the countryside comparatively easily, especially if you're at Fitzwilliam, Churchill or Murray Edwards. You get quite a lot of wildlife fairly close to the centre, like muntjacs (small wild deer) which you don't get as much in bigger cities.
Cambridge is rural?

It's set in what I would consider a secluded environment or for lack of a better word, a mini-village. I don't mean to sound rude but I'm tired of living in small towns with not much to explore. It doesn't have that ultra-urban, megacity feel like the other universities. It's ancient and the surrounding areas aren't much to look at. I can't compare it to what I've seen at MIT or Caltech. Even Imperial had that special modern touch they lack.

In terms of their teaching methods, I'll have to say they use archaic methods. People who study undergraduate engineering there usually end up having to further their studies elsewhere if they wish to get jobs that require a lot of practical skills. This is what I learned from conversing with various Cambridge alumni. If I wanted a desk job or a managerial position that requires no physical tasks, I would study at Cambridge but I don't want a job like that. That's one of the reasons I scrapped it from my list.
*SHE

Apologies - most people assume I'm male too :smile:
It's set in what I would consider a secluded environment or for lack of a better word, a mini-village. I don't mean to sound rude but I'm tired of living in small towns with not much to explore. It doesn't have that ultra-urban, megacity feel like the other universities. It's ancient and the surrounding areas aren't much to look at. I can't compare it to what I've seen at MIT or Caltech. Even Imperial had that special modern touch they lack.

In terms of their teaching methods, I'll have to say they use archaic methods. People who study undergraduate engineering there usually end up having to further their studies elsewhere if they wish to get jobs that require a lot of practical skills. This is what I learned from conversing with various Cambridge alumni. If I wanted a desk job or a managerial position that requires no physical tasks, I would study at Cambridge but I don't want a job like that. That's one of the reasons I scrapped it from my list.

Ah I see... I would prefer the managerial positions. I know Oxbridge graduates are more likely to start their own companies etc...
Original post by Muttley79
Apologies - most people assume I'm male too :smile:

Lol!
A

Oh apologies, my mistake! I might've been thinking about another course. Are you in y13? Also what are your thoughts on Imperial?

Ah, there's no problem at all! I wasn't offended. I'm in y12 actually but I already have my preferred universities written down. Imperial is an amazing school. I'm not trying to advertise it or anything like that but it's much too underrated. I was surprised to find it's just as difficult to get into as they have the same requirements as Oxbridge.

That aside, I love that they have a modernized and practical approach to teaching. If you want a place that pushes you to apply what you've learned and try to invent something, Imperial is perfect. They also give good post-degree opportunities through their connections with various companies and the industrial placements. I love that they have so many options available for each course. You could pick a year in industry or a year abroad or both. You could pick a duration of 4, 5 or 6 years depending on your study choice. My plan if I remain in the UK is to do my MEng at Imperial; then, my post-graduate at Cambridge because Imperial is the best for the practical aspect but Cambridge is the best for research. That's why a lot of Imperial alumni aiming for managerial jobs go to Cambridge for post-graduate studies so they end up with the best of both sides.
A

Ah, there's no problem at all! I wasn't offended. I'm in y12 actually but I already have my preferred universities written down. Imperial is an amazing school. I'm not trying to advertise it or anything like that but it's much too underrated. I was surprised to find it's just as difficult to get into as they have the same requirements as Oxbridge.

That aside, I love that they have a modernized and practical approach to teaching. If you want a place that pushes you to apply what you've learned and try to invent something, Imperial is perfect. They also give good post-degree opportunities through their connections with various companies and the industrial placements. I love that they have so many options available for each course. You could pick a year in industry or a year abroad or both. You could pick a duration of 4, 5 or 6 years depending on your study choice. My plan if I remain in the UK is to do my MEng at Imperial; then, my post-graduate at Cambridge because Imperial is the best for the practical aspect but Cambridge is the best for research. That's why a lot of Imperial alumni aiming for managerial jobs go to Cambridge for post-graduate studies so they end up with the best of both sides.

Ah I see. I feel like I've been misinformed about Imperial, in terms of student satisfaction (a little story about the maths building). I've been told it's harder to get into than Cambridge and they're more stingy with their interviews. But I know a person who studied there and works at NASA. I'm applying there too ☺️

Surely 'hamlet' is more appropriate :tongue:

It certainly isn't a concrete hellscape like London (and thank goodness for that). To each their own, I suppose.

In terms of teaching, it's certainly different to other universities, but some people want that. Not everybody does their degree with a career in mind.
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
I mean, that's true. I think it is more rural, though - the city itself is quite small, so you can cycle to the countryside comparatively easily, especially if you're at Fitzwilliam, Churchill or Murray Edwards. You get quite a lot of wildlife fairly close to the centre, like muntjacs (small wild deer) which you don't get as much in bigger cities.

Yeah, I like that it's not a large city. Would be a bit of a shock moving to a large city after living in a small town my whole life, and wildlife is always a plus.
Ah I see... I would prefer the managerial positions. I know Oxbridge graduates are more likely to start their own companies etc...

Then, Cambridge is perfect for you. Although, I don't think where you school determines the possibility of starting a company. I mean a lot of the people I spoke to from different schools are already doing that. Don't let that influence your choice too much. But at the end of the day, go for what pleases your heart. A fancy desk job does sound great, to be honest. And there's no feeling like being at a school you like. I hope you get in.
Reply 59

I'm going to agree with rural, at least 'rural hinterland'. Most directions it's a relatively short walk out into agricultural fields - certainly doable after a frustrating tutorial and be back for supper.
There's something about the Fens landscape which feels particularly empty and rural, more so than other cities that are proud of their environmental setting like Sheffield or Belfast.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending