Should I go for it?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I want to do the 23 and me DNA ancestry test and I've already ordered the kit. However, now I am having second thoughts about them keeping my DNA etc. I am a bit worried about the risks of handing your DNA to some random company that may use it for other things.

Need some advice. pls help
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Uhhh well the government do way worse stuff behind the scenes . Ik you are probably scared because maybe conspiracy theorists well the ones I’ve watched said tht they would do something with dna. You have already spent the money. Personally I want to do it but I’m scared too. But isn’t there like websites where u can type your name and your bloodline comes up but you still have to pay idk.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Uhhh well the government do way worse stuff behind the scenes . Ik you are probably scared because maybe conspiracy theorists well the ones I’ve watched said tht they would do something with dna. You have already spent the money. Personally I want to do it but I’m scared too. But isn’t there like websites where u can type your name and your bloodline comes up but you still have to pay idk.
Yeah about those websites.. I’ve come across them too. However, I don’t think they will work on my family because my parents came to the Uk as immigrants ( a long time ago) so I don’t think there is some sort of bloodline record for my family here.

I watched this vid and this put me off from doing the DNA test.

There aren’t rigid laws in place to protect privacy at the moment. I don’t want to be discriminated for my ethnicity or DNA based traits when I am trying to get a job. The fact that health insurance companies could use your DNA information against you also scares me. Doing a DNA test will also put the rest of my family at risk.

So I really want to do this test but I don’t really trust these DNA testing companies. 😭
Anonymous #1
bump
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (172)
14.64%
I'm not sure (54)
4.6%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (344)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.98%
I'm not a current university student (570)
48.51%

Watched Threads