Dogar The Brave
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of applying to several UK/Irish institutions for an LLM in 2021 which are as follows:

Cambridge
LSE
KCL
UCL
Edinburgh
Trinity College Dublin

My main preference at the moment is Edinburgh (for the particular LLM programme I am hoping to do).

I understand that the LLM process is incredibly competitive. I just want to know what are my chances of getting accepted to any of the above with the following:

My undergraduate degree was in Economics and Politics and International Relations from University College Dublin. First and second year were borderline 2:1 results, then third year I spent abroad on exchange (which was pass/fail; I passed it overall), then in fourth year I got a first class honours (3.80 GPA). My overall GPA was 3.43 (average of second and fourth year) so a strong 2:1 overall.

I then did a "Masters in Common Law" (basically a law conversion course but a 2 year Masters programme; the equivalent of a BCL in Ireland or an LLB in the UK (I think that's what you guys call your undergrad law degree anyway)) in the same university in the Sutherland School of Law (ranked number one law school in Ireland) and received a 2:1 overall (average of the 2 years) which a GPA of 2.23.

I have worked in an international legal firm for a year and have other legal experience like being on the editorial board of my university's annual law review.

Any advice in relation to the above would be much appreciated. I obviously make the 2.1 cut-off for five of the six universities mentioned above but how competitive are they regardless? I understand the 2.1 is just a minimum requirement.
RV3112
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
For general LLM admission:

Cambridge is the most competitive, with probably a 10% offer rate. They usually require a 1st.
LSE has an offer rate of 30%. They require a high 2:1. Your law studies GPA might not be competitive enough here, but it is possible your undergraduate results might compensate.
UCL has an offer rate of a little over 50%. They require a good 2:1 with evidence of first class ability. KCL is about the same
Edinburgh has an offer rate of around 40%. 2:1 is a minimum.

I don't know about Trinity College Dublin, sorry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (102)
13.32%
I'm not sure (32)
4.18%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (237)
30.94%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.48%
I'm not a current university student (376)
49.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise