Propranolol and dissociation

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hey,

I’ve been taking these pills for 2 weeks now I think. Honestly I love them and dissociating and feeling emotionally numb aren’t even a disadvantage about those pills. I was wondering can anyone relate to these symptoms or am I the only one? I know someone who mentioned they also dissociate from them and they hated it
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
they can't do that, they don't affect your brain. they're not psych. meds.
Ki Yung Na
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
They can affect your brain because the brain is fed from the heart and the blood stream.

As for dissociation, it is possible to experience this. This is because it lowers your heart reaction to excitation.

I’m on it as well.

I’ve been taking it a little bit longer than yourself.

If dissociation happens coinciding with thoughts of a serious nature of some sort of hopelessness. It’s better to inform your doctor to stay safe and happier

However if it’s not badly affecting you (it can change your behaviour I believe; there’s a study that says it can make people passive or along those lines) then it is worth keeping if it does the job it is meant to do.

I’m using it primarily because I want the changed personality (believe it or not, it’s managed to help - possibly? - with cigarettes urges).

Be smart and talk to your dr how best to proceed with it I’d say. You’ve done the first step by paying attention to yourself.
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ki Yung Na)
They can affect your brain because the brain is fed from the heart and the blood stream.

As for dissociation, it is possible to experience this. This is because it lowers your heart reaction to excitation.

I’m on it as well.

If dissociation happens coinciding with thoughts of a serious nature of some sort of hopelessness. It’s better to inform your doctor to stay safe and happier

However if it’s not badly affecting you (it can change your behaviour I believe; there’s a study that says it can make people passive or along those lines) then it is worth keeping if it does the job it is meant to do.

I’m using it primarily because I want the changed personality (believe it or not, it’s managed to help - possibly? - with cigarettes urges).

Be smart and talk to your dr how best to proceed with it I’d say. You’ve done the first step by paying attention to yourself.
wow, there's so much misinformation in your post, lol. what do you mean you're using propranolol because you want to change your personality? 😂
Ki Yung Na
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
wow, there's so much misinformation in your post, lol. what do you mean you're using propranolol because you want to change your personality? 😂
Have you done any research? I’ve also used my language carefully. “It can” in relation to that point specifically.

You could word it less attackingly. Jesus
Anonymous #1

I’m on it as well.

Hey thanks for your reply. I used to dissociate before so I don’t think they’re from the pills but they do trigger it sometimes I think. Lmaoo idk how. Woow how did they help you manage your cigarette urges? That’s so interesting omg.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ciel.)
they can't do that, they don't affect your brain. they're not psych. meds.
Oh I guess it’s to do with my old habits then. Thanks
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Have you done any research? I’ve also used my language carefully. “It can” in relation to that point specifically.

You could word it less attackingly. Jesus
nope, it can't. but whatever helps you sleep at night.
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Oh I guess it’s to do with my old habits then. Thanks
maybe.. if you're stressed then almost definitely
Ki Yung Na
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey thanks for your reply. I used to dissociate before so I don’t think they’re from the pills but they do trigger it sometimes I think. Lmaoo idk how. Woow how did they help you manage your cigarette urges? That’s so interesting omg.
I have no idea if they’re what’s helping or not. But basically now that I’m less anxious, and also less emotional - I believe - it just basically helps me not “want” things. Is this what you are feeling or referring to by dissociation?
Ki Yung Na
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
nope, it can't. but whatever helps you sleep at night.
Idk why you’re coming at me? Lol, I have read medical sources. I’m not trying to misinform people here. That’s a big deal. So whatever man. Do you innit. I’m not putting anything out as fact. The onus is on him/her to read into or see their dr, as I wrote specifically.

Doubtful if your intentions for even posting.. but whatevr,
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Idk why you’re coming at me? Lol, I have read medical sources. I’m not trying to misinform people here. That’s a big deal. So whatever man. Do you innit. I’m not putting anything out as fact. The onus is on him/her to read into or see their dr, as I wrote specifically.

Doubtful if your intentions for even posting.. but whatevr,
there's a lot of really silly studies out there. like the one on propranolol and trauma, which is complete ********. it's laughable.
Ki Yung Na
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
there's a lot of really silly studies out there. like the one on propranolol and trauma, which is complete ********. it's laughable.
Yeah and I a non trained person is meant to evaluate and then inform others of their accuracy? What exactly are you saying.

you are somehow in a position to dismiss and endorse literature on a public domain because you are medically and scientifically lab trained?

idk. We have different opinions here.
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah and I a non trained person is meant to evaluate and then inform others of their accuracy? What exactly are you saying.

you are somehow in a position to dismiss and endorse literature on a public domain because you are medically and scientifically lab trained?

idk. We have different opinions here.
i tested it on myself. it actually made my flashbacks worse. 😂 anyway, bye.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (102)
13.37%
I'm not sure (32)
4.19%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (237)
31.06%
I have already dropped out (18)
2.36%
I'm not a current university student (374)
49.02%

Watched Threads