Psychsie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m doing a psychology masters in the hopes it’ll help with the clinical doctorate application and I’m really stuck on module choices. I’ve done a whole year in placement at CAMHS for my bachelor‘s but this master’s is offering a placement module for a month, or I could do two smaller statistical/research method modules.

With COVID and everything, I’m not even sure the placement will be in person which puts me off somewhat but it’s an amazing opportunity to work in Maudsley hospital. I’m also really eager to learn these smaller modules too so I’m basically stuck between a rock and a hard place! Not looking for an answer, I’m just wondering what people’s thoughts are!
Last edited by Psychsie; 4 weeks ago
Psychsie
Rep:
?
Bump
Psychsie
Rep:
?
Bump
Grizwuld
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Surely you should take the placement. You can do or cover the other modules at another time - isn't that what holidays are for . Practical experience is invaluable. As a psychologist covid just gives you another dimension to observe and study. How is it affecting the staff and patients - occupational psychology in the raw?
Psychsie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Grizwuld)
Surely you should take the placement. You can do or cover the other modules at another time - isn't that what holidays are for . Practical experience is invaluable. As a psychologist covid just gives you another dimension to observe and study. How is it affecting the staff and patients - occupational psychology in the raw?
Didn’t think of it that way - good point! I think I’m just concerned about if the placement goes online. Not really getting the most out of it when I could just take another module I’m interested in. There’s a talk on it today so hopefully I’ll know by the end of it 😂

I’m really considering not just the clinical placements but the research ones too as they’re both so hard to get into.
Grizwuld
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
With the placement you'll meet people or be introduced to people who may be able to help you with your Ph.D. application. Your supervisor or someone else may be able to help with a reference. There is no networking potential in the course modules.

"the research ones too as they’re both so hard to get into"

So basically the real issue here is the Ph.D.?

Have you settled on the study subject and built a proposal around it? Who are you going to approach to sponsor/supervise you?
What's the timeline?
Psychsie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Grizwuld)
With the placement you'll meet people or be introduced to people who may be able to help you with your Ph.D. application. Your supervisor or someone else may be able to help with a reference. There is no networking potential in the course modules.

"the research ones too as they’re both so hard to get into"

So basically the real issue here is the Ph.D.?

Have you settled on the study subject and built a proposal around it? Who are you going to approach to sponsor/supervise you?
What's the timeline?
Oh no sorry I meant more like research assistant roles - great experience to get onto a clinical doctorate.

And yes that’s true! I’ve just been told I can possibly follow the modules I don’t sign up to anyways too - it just won’t be on my transcript! I am leaning towards a placement - I just hope to doesn’t shift to online!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.13%
I'm not sure (59)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (384)
29.34%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (644)
49.2%

Watched Threads