username5422446
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello everyone,

I am a potential reapplicant to read English, having achieved more highly in my A levels than expected. I was pooled last year having attained 999866644 at GCSE with predictions of A*A*A; I then achieved A*A*A*. My feedback was surprisingly complimentary, citing strong achieved and predicted grades (with the exceptions of my 6s and 4 in Sciences and Maths), reference, personal statement and ELAT score - just that I could have performed better on my discussion of structure at interview. Bearing in mind I hold grades exceeding the standard offer, I contacted the Director of Studies at a college who said my GCSEs would now be considered unimportant - does anyone know if this is actually the case? Would I be disadvantaging myself by applying on a gap year?

Thank you in advance.
username5422446
Rep:
?
Any thoughts please?
username5422446
Rep:
?
Bump
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What's the question? If you want to reapply, do it. You get 5 choices the second time, too.
username5422446
Rep:
?
(Original post by Theloniouss)
What's the question? If you want to reapply, do it. You get 5 choices the second time, too.
"Bearing in mind I hold grades exceeding the standard offer, I contacted the Director of Studies at a college who said my GCSEs would now be considered unimportant - does anyone know if this is actually the case?"

Do they say this to everyone in the hopes of getting as many people to apply as possible so they have more people to choose from?
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by IlseC)
"Bearing in mind I hold grades exceeding the standard offer, I contacted the Director of Studies at a college who said my GCSEs would now be considered unimportant - does anyone know if this is actually the case?"

Do they say this to everyone in the hopes of getting as many people to apply as possible so they have more people to choose from?
The director of studies won't have lied to you.
username5422446
Rep:
?
The director of studies won't have lied to you.
Okay, thank you. So if I am to take them at their word, would my A levels make me competitive? I scored highly on the admissions exam last year and hope to do so again this year.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by IlseC)
Okay, thank you. So if I am to take them at their word, would my A levels make me competitive? I scored highly on the admissions exam last year and hope to do so again this year.
Are you asking whether 3A*s is good enough?
username5422446
Rep:
?
Are you asking whether 3A*s is good enough?
Yes; I assume they're pretty ordinary for Cambridge applicants.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by IlseC)
Yes; I assume they're pretty ordinary for Cambridge applicants.
Well, they're the best grades you could've got. You aren't guaranteed an offer, but you might get one. It'll depend on your performance everywhere else.
username5422446
Rep:
?
Well, they're the best grades you could've got. You aren't guaranteed an offer, but you might get one. It'll depend on your performance everywhere else.
Right. I wonder what grades the "typical" successful applicant has at A level for my course? I was in the top 10% of my admissions exam cohort last year and hope to be again, so hopefully I can do better at the interview stage this year.
username5422446
Rep:
?
Apparently 6% of arts/humanities applicants last year had A*A*A* predicted/achieved. I am no statistician but I presume this does put me in good stead?
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by IlseC)
Right. I wonder what grades the "typical" successful applicant has at A level for my course? I was in the top 10% of my admissions exam cohort last year and hope to be again, so hopefully I can do better at the interview stage this year.
Unfortunately, I have no idea. You're almost certainly above average (I'm told the average for humanities offer-holders is 2.5A*), but there isn't really any data on English applicants (especially considering you'd have to only consider reapplicants and there are very few successful reapplicants for English). You can always submit an FOI request if you want to know.

There is unlikely to be a significant difference between A*A*A and A*A*A* applicants.
Last edited by Theloniouss; 4 weeks ago
username5422446
Rep:
?
Unfortunately, I have no idea. You're almost certainly above average (I'm told the average for humanities offer-holders is 2.5A*), but there isn't really any data on English applicants. You can always submit an FOI request if you want to know.

Especially considering you'd have to only consider reapplicants and there are very few reapplicants for English
That's a shame, thank you anyway. I did find an FOI ages ago showing that roughly 1/2 of reapplicants for English received an offer, but it was a very small sample size and quite outdated. I may submit one but I suppose by the time they get back to me the application deadline will have passed and as such any information will be relatively useless.
dking2001
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by IlseC)
Have a look under the Freedom of Information requests on whatdotheyknow.com there are a few responses that show the predicted or actual grades of offer holders for English
dking2001
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If a DoS has said your GCSEs are no longer a factor you can be sure that is the truth. You got pooled with them and no firm A levels so now you have your 3A* I would really not worry about your GCSEs
username5422446
Rep:
?
(Original post by dking2001)
Have a look under the Freedom of Information requests on whatdotheyknow.com there are a few responses that show the predicted or actual grades of offer holders for English
I have found some from 2018-20 actually which seem to suggest my achieved A levels are above average, thank you for the suggestion.
username5422446
Rep:
?
(Original post by dking2001)
If a DoS has said your GCSEs are no longer a factor you can be sure that is the truth. You got pooled with them and no firm A levels so now you have your 3A* I would really not worry about your GCSEs
Great, thank you. Fingers crossed for an offer this time!
Paralove
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You will make a strong reapplicant, but you should be reapplying to a different college to last year! So that you get a fresh set of interviewers.
username5422446
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paralove)
You will make a strong reapplicant, but you should be reapplying to a different college to last year! So that you get a fresh set of interviewers.
Thank you - don't worry, I am!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (184)
14.2%
I'm not sure (59)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (380)
29.32%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.85%
I'm not a current university student (636)
49.07%

Watched Threads