RAF application without being in the air cadets

Watch
Dan_T1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, I'm a young military/aircraft lover who wants to join the RAF as a pilot.
I have done many hours of research into this job and what it is all about; yet I haven't found a definitive answer on if not joining the cadets will affect my application. I have D of E bronze and doing my silver soon (with the intent to get my gold as well) also I do many other sports and charity work. I hope to apply in the next 18 months and just wondering if any one could help.
tanks, Dan
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Dan_T1)
yet I haven't found a definitive answer on if not joining the cadets will affect my application.
No, it won't.

Many have got in without it.
Without wanting to name drop, a friend of mine is on the Red Arrows right now and was never an air cadet.
Stelios76
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I never even knew what the air cadets was when I applied, I passed everything first time (not for pilot, for ATC)
lucywls
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Having been a member of air cadets will probably help in so far as you can discuss leadership experience and already know quite a bit about the technical aspects of the interview. However, having not been a member certainly won't hold you back.
I know people who have been caught out at the interview stage though for saying 'Since I was born I've always wanted to join the RAF/navy/army' to which they've then been asked 'so why didn't you join the cadets?'. So try to avoid saying its a lifelong ambition unless you have a good answer for why you didn't join the cadets.

Make sure to brush up on current operations, what flies from where, the role of NATO and current affairs etc. Theres lots of videos on YouTube to help. Good luck.
AscendingWings
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You'll be one of many who were not a cadet. But it sounds like you have a good background, a similar background in fact to some of those who go through cadets and participate with activities in the organisation.

Cadets is an enabler for things to talk about but as other people here have said, it isn't essential. Your background sounds good, just be prepared to talk about it in depth if you're asked, that goes for anyone applying.
Dan_T1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
No, it won't.

Many have got in without it.
Without wanting to name drop, a friend of mine is on the Red Arrows right now and was never an air cadet.
Thanks for the response.
The red’s are amazing
Cheers
Dan_T1
Rep:
?
(Original post by lucywls)
Having been a member of air cadets will probably help in so far as you can discuss leadership experience and already know quite a bit about the technical aspects of the interview. However, having not been a member certainly won't hold you back.
I know people who have been caught out at the interview stage though for saying 'Since I was born I've always wanted to join the RAF/navy/army' to which they've then been asked 'so why didn't you join the cadets?'. So try to avoid saying its a lifelong ambition unless you have a good answer for why you didn't join the cadets.

Make sure to brush up on current operations, what flies from where, the role of NATO and current affairs etc. Theres lots of videos on YouTube to help. Good luck.
Thanks for the info. Will make sure I know my stuff beforehand 👍
Dan_T1
Rep:
?
(Original post by AscendingWings)
You'll be one of many who were not a cadet. But it sounds like you have a good background, a similar background in fact to some of those who go through cadets and participate with activities in the organisation.

Cadets is an enabler for things to talk about but as other people here have said, it isn't essential. Your background sounds good, just be prepared to talk about it in depth if you're asked, that goes for anyone applying.
Thanks for the response. The info will help me 👍
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (33)
17.55%
I'm not sure (5)
2.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (66)
35.11%
I have already dropped out (3)
1.6%
I'm not a current university student (81)
43.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed