The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Andrew97
Barcelona will continue to host f1 until 2026.

Seeing a lot of comments saying thr chcisne should be removed, now I don’t disagree with that per say but I’m willing to bet the races would still be crap

I don’t know why Liberty didn’t wait until after seeing 2022 cars on track physically before doing more long term deals.

Although this isn’t surprising given the circuits benefits to F1 testing.

I wish they would do track variation, visit certain places every other year and so on; it was really great seeing Mugello, Imola, Portimao, Istanbul… the last couple years. I wish they would look at the good things we got from the pandemic and replicate it.
Horner and Ted clearly don't get on. I wonder why
Original post by mnot
I don’t know why Liberty didn’t wait until after seeing 2022 cars on track physically before doing more long term deals.

Although this isn’t surprising given the circuits benefits to F1 testing.

I wish they would do track variation, visit certain places every other year and so on; it was really great seeing Mugello, Imola, Portimao, Istanbul… the last couple years. I wish they would look at the good things we got from the pandemic and replicate it.

Im not a fan of catalunya it must be said. Yeah it seems to do massive long deals with no idea on how the cars will be at the track. The calender is too crowded in my view anyway
Original post by Andrew97
Im not a fan of catalunya it must be said. Yeah it seems to do massive long deals with no idea on how the cars will be at the track. The calender is too crowded in my view anyway

Large reasonably rich European nations are protected because it's a reliable audience.
Original post by Rakas21
Large reasonably rich European nations are protected because it's a reliable audience.

Didn’t save Germany
Original post by mnot
Didn’t save Germany

What exactly happened with those two tracks. Money argument I assume.
Original post by Rakas21
What exactly happened with those two tracks. Money argument I assume.

I think they couldn’t afford the F1 hosting fees, and it wasn’t state sponsored so it just became unviable.
Williams: For the first time in a long time Williams were the last team to finish in Qatar but this was not due to their pace but rather punctures, that being said the pace was not that strong either, both cars were running around towards the back when the punctures occurred. George was running ahead foir the majority of the race and, indeed, was able to stay ahead of the Haas after he got his puncture while Laitfi’s lead to a retirement. Williams however will be happy Alfa didn’t score any points in this race meaning their 8th place is coming more secure.

Haas: Mazepin had a horror show of a weekend but he still got the car to the finish at least, Missing FP2 and FP3 on a new track when the team doesn’t ham a simulator while being a rookie put the Russian in an impossible position and it was no surprise he was Miles off Mick in qualifying. In the race both drivers kept it clean, they were at the back as we expect but were clean and Mick even beat Russell with his issues. Other than that nothing to say about Haas.

Alfa Romeo: Another team that I have very little to talk about, they seemed to drop back from their Mexico performance with both cars being knocked out in Q1, which in all honesty is the norm for them this season. Kimi made a decent start to move up as high as P12 but the natural pace of the car soon took over and he dropped back into the pack to be running around with George with Gio a bit behind. A quiet race from Alfa but they got both cars to the finish as Gio continues his 100% finishing record.

AlphaTuari: AlphaTuari were one of the teams to try a 2 stop strategy and it did not work out, this was a shame as they had decent, but no spectacular, pace. I have been quite harsh on Tsuonda during this season and in some instances rightly so. In recent races however he is starting again to show flashes of speed and as a result both AT’s got into Q3 this time. Gasly as ever was awesome in Q3 and qualified an amazing P4, this became second with the yellow flag penalties (ironacialy a yellow flag he caused). The Gas man ran 3rd in the first stint of the race with Yuki running in p8. Ultimately the new tyres for AT did not have the desired impact and they were not able to make up the time in a packed midfield that they lost with the 2nd stop. No points for AT, only the second time this year that neither scored points when they both finished (Russia being the other) and a big gut punch in their battle with Alpine

McLaren: Since their 1-2 in Monza and the lost win in Russia Mclaren have somewhat struggled with picking up results and this continued in Qatar. Lando reasserted his dominance over Danny Ric by getting into Q3 while Ricciardo was once again knocked out in Q2. Ricciardo struggled in the race running around outside the polints for the whole thing and never really making an impact, he is kind of sliding back to his early/mid season form when he struggled. Lando had a much stronger race up until his puncture rrunning in the top 5 for the whole race ahead of both of the Ferrari’s, however his late race puncture, along with the closeness of the midfield really screwed him over and resulted in Lando only scoring 2 points pushing Ferrari further away from them. It seems the race for 3rd is now over with the gap the red team have.

Ferrari: One of the poorer weekends pace wise by Ferrari, but their consistency meant they pulled away from their main rivals once again. Leclerc struggled more in Qatar and even had to resort to a chassis change after getting knocked out ion Q2, while Sainz made it into Q3 on the less favoured (for qualifying 1 lap pace) medium tyres. Sainz didnt have excellent race pace and dropped behind Ocon and Stroll while Charles made his way through the pack to be running dirfectly behind his teammate. The way they did their 1 stopper meant they had greater pace at the end then Ocon and Stroll but just got stuck in a DRS train so were unable to do anything about it, still despite being a bit weaker than usual here in Qatar a decent points haul for Ferrari compared to their rival as Sainz continues his 100% finishing record and is in my view one of, if not the, most consistent driver on the grid

Aston Martin: 2021 has been a disappointing Season for AM, the rule changes have really harmed them and they have not performed up to their usual standard. Stroll had his strongest race of the year in Qatar. He was one of those that were knocked out in Q2 that made the medium starting tyre work as he got past Sebby and a couple of others, AM played the strategy well to move him ahead of Sainz as well and Lance, unseen really made his way up to P6 once all the strategy had played out, he lost the position to Checo but gained it back when Lando pitted. Stroll shadowed Ocon to the end and kept the Ferrari’s behind him to finish a very respectable 6th. Vettel had a poor start (think he was pushed out) and likewise had a quiet race, he was able to take advantage of others misforutnes to sneak a point at the 10th, a shame for Seb as he’s been strong recently but a point is still a point. Yhat being said if AM dont improve next year i cant see him sticking around for too long.

Alpine: A superb result by Alpine and Fernando is now Back! Alpine had great pace all weekend with both cars getting into Q3, Ocon had an incredibly solid race running in the middle of the top 10 for the whole thing and having some decent pace. Shadowing Lando and keeping Stroll and the red cars at bay, his fight with Perez although not as spirited at Fernando and Lewis at Budapest was clean and nonetheless helped is teammate. A top 5 finish for Esteban was a just reward for a good drive. Alonso was on it all weekend, from the first practice session he just had pace and consistency. A great qualifying put Fernando P5 (he was one of the few to actually back off for the Gasly incident and did it without yellows) and with penalties he started 3rd, a great start and some good awareness moved him up to second and Alonso was smart not to battle Verstappen and instead drive his own race. Alonso had massive pace compared to the rest of the mid-field. Took his softs long to make the 1 stopper work and showed some excellent tyre management on the hard tyres to be able to be setting PBs towards the end of the race. A podium was well earned result for the Spaniard

Red Bull: Another case of damage limitation for Red Bull on a track where Mercedes seemed stronger. Max made what was arguably his first error of the year by speeding under double yellows. This is just a fundamental issue with comes with a slam dunk penalty and rightly so as you cannot be doing that, it is ture to say the situation with the yellow flags at the end of Q3 was cloudy at best and race control should have just been consistent with the flags they were showing but this is no excuse for Max and he knows better than this. His recovery though could’nt have gone better. What made his day was getting ahead of Bottas quickly and that just left Gasly and Alonso ahead of him, both of whom he cleared easily. Max didnt have the pace of lewis after this and so was running his own race. The alien like pace of the top two meant that by the end Max had a pitstop in hand to pit for the fastest lap (Max had the time to pit twice and grab a cup of tea to be honest) so thats an extra point for Max. Perez had a weak Q2 and was eliminated despite going softs, he had a good start however to move ahead of Bottas and then made his way through the midfield pack. Red Bull arguably made an error by pitting hima second time, Perez was able to get back up to 4th but the Laitifi VSC cost hima chance at Alonso. A lost double podium for RB

Mercedes: Hamilton was perfect all weekend, the Merc had an advantage around Qatar and Hamilton made the most of it, pole and the win is all he can do now and if he does this in Jeddah and Abu the title in his. This is going down to the wire. Merc did not use the spicy Brazil engine here, that will be back in Jeddah. Bottas on the other hand had a bit of a mare, he was outqualifed by Max and got caught going to fast under yellow flags dropping him back in the grid. A poor start really defined his race. For whatever reason unlike lewis and Max is not really able to make his way through the pack (Monza aside) but he was getting through and was likely to have a battle with checo for 3rd. However it seems Merc pushed the mediums too hard and Bottas got a puncture dropping him out the points where he was unable to make an impact. A shame for Velterri and he as now at risk at losing 3rd in the championship to checo.
The Aston performance has been strange this season. Being strongest in high downforce tracks with a Mercedes engine should really produce a very good car. I can only assume that like the 2020 Ferrari, it must generate significant drag.
Sad news, Sir Frank Williams has passed away aged 79. (https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sir-frank-williams-dies-aged-79/6829286/)

Operating at such a high level of the sport for so long with his disability was a phenomenal achievement. A real legend of motorsport.

The recent Williams documentary is well worth a watch and pulled no punches.
Original post by Admit-One
Sad news, Sir Frank Williams has passed away aged 79. (https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sir-frank-williams-dies-aged-79/6829286/)

Operating at such a high level of the sport for so long with his disability was a phenomenal achievement. A real legend of motorsport.

RIP. Lived a good life and did phenomal things with that team, it was sad to see it go the way it did. Hopefully the new owners will do some sort of tribute in Saudi

PRSOM

RIP - a Formula 1 legend, and one of the good ones.

PRSOM. Agree 100% with what you have posted
F2 news, some driver changes going into Jeddah

Logan Sargeant will make his debut for HWA, replacing the wrong driver ( not Deledda)

At MP motorsport Clement Novslsk replaces Zendelli while Jack Doohan takes Richard Vershchoors seat

Oli Caldwell replaces Beckmann at campos
1st impressions about jeddah corniche.

Its narrower than expected but looks good for driving (width is sochi like in some parts, baku like in others). racing on the otherhand i expect to be bad. Saying that however i was proven wrong about mugello, zandvoort and losail.

It seems to be a high fuel, high feg circuit based on f2 running, however a) its daytime so it will be cooler in quali and race and b) f2 despite using 18 inch wheels are still using the high deg 2016 f1 compound

Will look good under lights / this circuit is a temporary fix till the proper bonkers saudi circuit is made (why cant they make it online already, its larger than spa and has a great mix of corners and straights).
(edited 2 years ago)
It could be the tyres but the f1 cars look small compared to the f2 cars in jeddah
Track is ramping up quickly. Expecting 1:28-1:27s in quali
Will the proper circuit be longer.
Original post by Rakas21
Will the proper circuit be longer.

7km+, up to 34 corners (think spa in the desert). Not sure if it will be flat but considering it it is in a mountainous region, expect elevation changes.

Most likely will be 42-43 laps.

Rather intruigingly, it is designed by alex wurz
(edited 2 years ago)

Proper circuit will be in a valley on the outskirts of Riyadh called Qiddiyahas part of a smart city / entertainment complex
(edited 2 years ago)

Latest