The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

The Official Formula One 2022 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Andrew97
Does fittipaldi have a lot of money? I thought his USP for Haas would be the fact he’s the easiest to plug in at short notice

Original post by mnot
No idea but im sure the surname helps with some sponsorship

Combo of both: surname recognition and emmo has farm's in brazil (lot of government support)

But alcoholics dad has more money. Personally feel alcoholic has speed but nowhere near enough consistency from 1st 2 years f2. Prema and Carlin engineers rates him highly in terms of speed but likewise feel his consistency is lacking.

Imo he needs 1 more year in f2 and piastri should get the seat this year but money talks
EDIT - per motorsport.com's italian site,It seems the minimum weight has been raised to 800kg (not sure if officially official) as all times minus AR are overweight.

AR is the only car within weight range, however their parts are more fragile as a result.

RB is most overweight (15kg per amus and gds), merc about 4kg, ferrari between 5-10kg, unsure about rest
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by quasa
Per bbc Andrew Benson - 3 drivers are being considered for mazepin replacement:

Fittipaldi, piastri and surprisingly the alcoholic.

Talent wise- piastri is the one to go for.

Money wise: alcoholic or fittipaldi

I hope it’s Piastri. Fittipaldi would be a joke, but Daruvula would be even worse.

The Indian driver Daruvula has been poor in junior categories. He drove for Carlin and Prema in F3 who are very quick and only managed to finish 3rd in his THIRD season in F3.

The Carlin was also very quick in F2 and he hasn’t managed to finish over 7th, getting beaten by both his teammates.

Piastri is probably the favourite if Ferrari make some promises to Haas in return for giving him a seat. Whoever gets the seat will have to play catch up though as it’s very short-notice.

I’d rather Daruvula gets the seat over Fittipaldi though tbh.
Original post by Driving_Mad
I hope it’s Piastri. Fittipaldi would be a joke, but Daruvula would be even worse.

The Indian driver Daruvula has been poor in junior categories. He drove for Carlin and Prema in F3 who are very quick and only managed to finish 3rd in his THIRD season in F3.

The Carlin was also very quick in F2 and he hasn’t managed to finish over 7th, getting beaten by both his teammates.

Piastri is probably the favourite if Ferrari make some promises to Haas in return for giving him a seat. Whoever gets the seat will have to play catch up though as it’s very short-notice.

I’d rather Daruvula gets the seat over Fittipaldi though tbh.

Going to disseminate a few things.
1st paragraph of yours about f3: he was in euro f3 for 2 years and FIA f3 for 1 year - both of which are completely different classes in terms of speed (280hp 2l i4s vs 400+ 3.4l v6s). Euro f3 is a series dominated by prema and he was the 2nd highest Carlin and rookie that year (6th overall) behind a certain Lando norris. He scored higher than zhou, mick schumacher, mazepin. 2nd season he did bad however.

His FIA F3 season he led most of the championship but lost out due to crashes (most of which weren't his fault) and inconsistency from Silverstone onwards, otherwise he was faster than Armstrong and Schwarzman.

1st season f2 he was disadvantaged by a faulty engine which wasn't diagnosed properly till the end of the season (something the organisers apologised for) when they finally changed the engines, he was rapid. He also kept dropping way too many places at the start despite qualifying well (on par ioth yuki but kept binning the starts by himself)

2nd season f2 he was rubbish ill admit however.

But agree, piastri deserves the seat
(edited 1 year ago)
Why the ***** is there a sausage kerb https://twitter.com/circuitspa/status/1500171576221876230

It was getting very easy to angle the nose in very early and steal all the curb and really make it very straight, I guess just trying to make people turn a little later, use less curb and make it more of corner again.

This is still the favourite bit of track I’ve seen in person, cameras don’t do the hill justice
https://youtu.be/raos5cz4Fgc

So appnrelty the person screaming at max when he crosses the line is actually GP and not Albon. I mean I makes sense when you think about it. Why would it be Albon but oh my god it sounded like him
Imola will be on the Calender until 2025
Did anyone watch that duel programme on sky on Sunday?

Not yet. I’m a bit worried it’ll over-sensationalise things. If I hear it’s got some good behind the scenes stuff I will give it a go though.

I did and felt lame. Dts is out on Friday and is supposed to be lame as well (except for yuki, who apparently steals the show).

The moto gp docuseries on amazon is supposed to be good er motorsport journalists
Yeah, I found it OTT. The Max Vs Hamilton rivalry is good but Hamilton is hard to like (and still driving) and Max was not a world champion beforehand.

I felt they tried to make it sound like a great epic when it was good but not as profound as Senna Vs Prost for example.
Original post by Rakas21
Yeah, I found it OTT. The Max Vs Hamilton rivalry is good but Hamilton is hard to like (and still driving) and Max was not a world champion beforehand.

I felt they tried to make it sound like a great epic when it was good but not as profound as Senna Vs Prost for example.

Very true. Maybe in a few years it would be possible to talk about Max and someone, when he had more wins and maybe titles under his belt. Hamilton is definitely hard to like, but he hasn’t really been challenged since joining Merc until this year so it’s also not very easy to make something like that of him and another driver, even when it was Lewis and Rosberg it was more sad than entertaining to see their great friendship fall apart.
Original post by quasa
I did and felt lame. Dts is out on Friday and is supposed to be lame as well (except for yuki, who apparently steals the show).

The moto gp docuseries on amazon is supposed to be good er motorsport journalists

It felt like a season review but it wasn’t if that makes sense. I’m currently rewatching series 3 of DTS. Love Horner trolling all the time
It felt like a season review but it wasn’t if that makes sense. I’m currently rewatching series 3 of DTS. Love Horner trolling all the time

Previews suggest he will troll toto as well
Tyre news
The quali tyre rule has been scrapped, meaning people will have free tyre choice for the race.

Also tyre allocations for 1st 3 races has been decided:

Bahrain - C1, C2, C3
Jeddah - C2, C3, C4
Melbourne - C2, C3, C5
Wish they'd use the softest compound each time.
Original post by Rakas21
Wish they'd use the softest compound each time.

I thought (after they changed to bringing 3 compounds to each race instead of 2) they should say in a dry race you have to use all 3, make strategy way more interesting.
Rumours that Kevin Magnussen is in the mix for the Haas seat.

Also seeing some discussion that Merc will debut a different sidepod package at Bahrain. This could be something like the Williams 'no sidepod' solution, a big undercut or maybe even something more radical.

Finding it a bit hard to believe myself, (although I'd love to see something cool that they'd kept under their hats). I just can't see them leaving it that late and potentially jeopardising the first 2 races whilst getting everything dialled in.
The Merc safety car will be the AMG GT black series rather then the AMG GTR, think the hp/torque differences will be the same ballpark maybe they squeezed out a bit more with an ECU tune, but the styling is more aggressive (huge bonnet louvres, very low splitter… looks sexy).

Latest