The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

The Official Formula One 2022 Thread

Scroll to see replies

C7179C66-8973-46AF-ACFE-AA9DA788F0E3.jpegRed bulls twitter. The shithousery here 😂
considering the fia is under scrutiny for the unplanned protests debacle in f1, they have retaliated by confirming 7/10 teams do not have a code of ethics / conduct regarding sustainability and other things.

have a guess which 3 teams have one in place (all 3 would make people laugh at various points in time but 2 are more funny). also funny how a certain team who loves crying wolff everytime something doesnt go their way and lobbying about others isnt on the list
Original post by quasa
considering the fia is under scrutiny for the unplanned protests debacle in f1, they have retaliated by confirming 7/10 teams do not have a code of ethics / conduct regarding sustainability and other things.

have a guess which 3 teams have one in place (all 3 would make people laugh at various points in time but 2 are more funny). also funny how a certain team who loves crying wolff everytime something doesnt go their way and lobbying about others isnt on the list

Aston Martin because of seb

red bull and by extwntion AlphaTuari
Original post by Andrew97
Aston Martin because of seb

red bull and by extwntion AlphaTuari

Or because it would be top banter Mclaren and Ferrari.

thwre was actually a good bbc sounds podcast on spy gate r3vnetly
Or because it would be top banter Mclaren and Ferrari.

thwre was actually a good bbc sounds podcast on spy gate r3vnetly

Aston mclaren and Ferrari is correct :lol:
Today is Adrian Neweys birthday,

Fun fact, Adrian first designed a car in 1988. Every season a car designed by newey has scored a podium, in fact only the Leyton houses and the 06-08 red bulls didn’t win a race
Because I realised I never did this at the time

My f1 2022 driver rankings in reverse order

20) Nicholas Latifi
19) Daniel Ricciardo
18) Mick Schumacher
17) Lance Stroll
16) Pierre Gasly
15) Yuki Tsuonda
14) Guanyu Zhou
13) Kevin Magnussen
12) Valterri Bottas
11) Alex Albon
10) Seb Vettel
9) Sergio Perez
8) Carlos Sainz
7) Esteban Ocon
6) Fernando Alonso
5) Lewis Hamilton
4) George Russell
3) Charles Leclerc
2) Lando Norris
1) Max Verstappen
Rankings wise :
20) Latifi
19) Mick
18) Ricciardo
17) Tsuonda
16) Gasly
15) Stroll
14) KMag
13) Zhou
12) Bottas
11) Albon
10) Ocon
9) Vettel
8) Perez
7) Sainz
6) Fernando
5) Russel
4) Leclerc
3) Hamilton
2) Norris
1) Max
Original post by Driving_Mad
So the first race weekend commences tomorrow. This is it guys. All week when I have been at school, the main topic of conversation has been the start of the F1 season. The sport has never been as popular as it has been now. I am getting annoyed talking about it. There's even a Fantasy F1 game my friends are doing.

Driver's Champion - Charles Leclerc - only thing that could cost them is that Sainz won't want to sacrifice himself if he is slightly slower than Leclerc, compared to someone like Perez willing to support Verstappen
Constructor's Champion - Ferrari - they have the strongest lineup
Best of the Rest - Mclaren
Surprise Driver - Alex Albon
Surprise Package - Alpine
Bold Prediction - only 3 teams to win a race (Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercedes)

Reviewing my predictions:

Driver's Champion - Charles Leclerc
Obviously didn’t end up happening. Always next year.

Constructor's Champion - Ferrari
Ferrari disappointed the entire fan base. They made a season which started with optimism one of the most boring F1 seasons in years.

Best of the Rest - Mclaren
If Ricciardo got his act together Mclaren could have finished 4th.

Surprise Driver - Alex Albon
I think this was a good prediction. Albon was really impressive. If Williams can get further up the grid next season I can see Albon being 1st choice to replace Perez in 2024 if his relationship with Verstappen worsens.

Surprise Package - Alpine
Again this was correct. Alpine finished 4th in the Championship ahead of McLaren.

Bold Prediction - only 3 teams to win a race (Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercedes)
Correct! I don’t think this was that bold though. What do you guys think? It was bold in the sense that in 2020 Perez at Racing Point won in Abu Dhabi and Gasly at Alpha Tauri won at Monza, and then in 2021 Ocon in the Alpine won in Hungary and Ricciardo in the McLaren won in Monza.

Because I realised I never did this at the time

My f1 2022 driver rankings in reverse order

20) Nicholas Latifi
19) Daniel Ricciardo
18) Mick Schumacher
17) Lance Stroll
16) Pierre Gasly
15) Yuki Tsuonda
14) Guanyu Zhou
13) Kevin Magnussen
12) Valterri Bottas
11) Alex Albon
10) Seb Vettel
9) Sergio Perez
8) Carlos Sainz
7) Esteban Ocon
6) Fernando Alonso
5) Lewis Hamilton
4) George Russell
3) Charles Leclerc
2) Lando Norris
1) Max Verstappen

I think Ricciardo could even be below Latifi. I think you underrated Stroll slightly and overrated Zhou. Schumacher is definitely too low. Take away the 1st race of the season and he was right there alongside Magnussen.

Gasly and Hamilton were better than their teammates Tsunoda and Russell, although Gasly was poor compared to 2020 and 2021. It will be interesting to see how his relationship with Ocon is in 2023.

Norris had a good season. I don’t think he’s at the level of Verstappen, Leclerc or Russell though. Alonso still right up there at the age of 41 despite the fact Alpine sabotaged him in half the races this season.
Just been watching a video which posits that the FIA changing rules to go soft on porpoising teams basically cost Alpine most because they had actively designed the car not to do so. Likewise, Red Bull had taken mitigating action.

I actually agree, teams designed their cars around the rules and some failed to realise a consequence. Going soft on Mercedes mid season was the wrong move.
Original post by Rakas21
Just been watching a video which posits that the FIA changing rules to go soft on porpoising teams basically cost Alpine most because they had actively designed the car not to do so. Likewise, Red Bull had taken mitigating action.

I actually agree, teams designed their cars around the rules and some failed to realise a consequence. Going soft on Mercedes mid season was the wrong move.

I think the rules around proposing where its a function considering frequency & magnitude was pretty understandable, fwiw i viewed this step as actually helping the teams which took action & largely helped red bull after the summer break as every other team effectively had to stiffen the chassis or raise the ride height.

The changes around the floor wear & abuse were more about how they ensured compliance rather then actually around making new rules.

Their was discussion of allowing a second floor stay on cars, i can’t remember if this ever formally became allowed or not, and if so i can understand this complaint, pretty justifiable to be ****ed about that. Although tbh im not sure this made any real impact on how things panned out for alpine or red bull championship wise.
Original post by mnot
I think the rules around proposing where its a function considering frequency & magnitude was pretty understandable, fwiw i viewed this step as actually helping the teams which took action & largely helped red bull after the summer break as every other team effectively had to stiffen the chassis or raise the ride height.

The changes around the floor wear & abuse were more about how they ensured compliance rather then actually around making new rules.

Their was discussion of allowing a second floor stay on cars, i can’t remember if this ever formally became allowed or not, and if so i can understand this complaint, pretty justifiable to be ****ed about that. Although tbh im not sure this made any real impact on how things panned out for alpine or red bull championship wise.

Yeah, I don't think it's a defining factor the championship because Ferrari for example had significant porpoising but had stability under braking (Mercedes did not). Arguably as the season progressed though it probably did aid certain teams like Mercedes and cost the likes of Apline and McLaren (whether enough to mitigate Mercedes downforce success who knows).

Worth remembering it's not the first time. In 2011 the blown defuser got banned and Alonso won the British GP by a fair bit because Ferrari's car was sound bar that one issue (Red Bull fortunately got the ban overturned).

I just personally think it's a good example of corruption at the rule making level though. Mercedes designed a car that was not stable under braking when porpoising and they should have been made to pay Vs the teams which did not.
Thank you to everyone for making 2022 a great year for this little community we have, there may not be many of us but the posting figures here are always large.

I will now be closing this thread and we will now use the 2023 thread

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7299192&p=97946066#post97946066
(edited 1 year ago)