The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

The Official Formula One 2022 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rakas21
Won't be more than a 5s penalty at worst, Russel was 22s behind.

Yep, which is why I said 10 seconds because the penalties tend to be 5, 10 or 30 in terms of post race penalties. But agree, it'll likely be a 5s penalty. KMag can get away with 5s but 10s and he'd be behind lewis
1 interesting thing to note is due to the downforce of the current cars, as well as the fact there were no red flags majority green flag running, a lot of drivers were complaining with neck pain. Gasly even compared it to having a stabbing pain when he turned left during last 10 laps
3 place penalty for Melbourne for Albon for the stroll collision. Harsh
Original post by Andrew97
3 place penalty for Melbourne for Albon for the stroll collision. Harsh

Yikes. On the one hand he did dive bomb stroll on the otherhand, it looked like stroll turned in on him. But I'm guessing the stewards felt albon was to blame and yeah 3 place grid penalty is consistent if your at fault (also some penalty points iirc)
Original post by quasa
Yikes. On the one hand he did dive bomb stroll on the otherhand, it looked like stroll turned in on him. But I'm guessing the stewards felt albon was to blame and yeah 3 place grid penalty is consistent if your at fault (also some penalty points iirc)

I agree that it could have gone either way but imo if stroll had left the space albon probably wouldn't have been able to finish the move anyway and stroll would've kept his place. just another what if however but glad tonight's race was so exciting, kind of wish there wasn't such a big gap between the leaders and the midfield (Perez to Russell) but the action in the midfield was great, fingers crossed for more of the same!
Original post by AliceKS
I agree that it could have gone either way but imo if stroll had left the space albon probably wouldn't have been able to finish the move anyway and stroll would've kept his place. just another what if however but glad tonight's race was so exciting, kind of wish there wasn't such a big gap between the leaders and the midfield (Perez to Russell) but the action in the midfield was great, fingers crossed for more of the same!

Absolutely, 1 thing drivers up and down the grid unanimously agreed on was that people could follow each other a lot easier and they could also defend / counter attack whereas the 2011-2021 school of overtaking predominantly was drs dive bomb and no more overtaking till at least the next lap if you are lucky.

EDIT Also deleted the comment you tried to delete but had problems deleting
@quasa thank you! (PRSOM)
(edited 1 year ago)
No further actions per the yellow flags
Original post by AliceKS

Better than the last rule change when Mercedes were a minute ahead alone, at least we have two teams now.

In theory this should close each year with the cost cap forcing convergence.
Original post by Rakas21
Better than the last rule change when Mercedes were a minute ahead alone, at least we have two teams now.

In theory this should close each year with the cost cap forcing convergence.

Costcap is a factor but reckon the development handicap will play a bigger role
Anyone seen What Gunther said after the race
Drivers by current active Points scoring streaks

1) Carlos Sainz 17
2) Lewis hamilton 10
3) Charles Leclerc 9
4) Esteban Ocon 6
5) George Russell 2
6) Kmag 2
7) Max Verstappen 1
8) Sergio Perez 1
9) Lando Norris 1
10) Pierre Gasly 1

Ocon is a bit of a surpsie there to me
Original post by Andrew97
Drivers by current active Points scoring streaks

1) Carlos Sainz 17
2) Lewis hamilton 10
3) Charles Leclerc 9
4) Esteban Ocon 6
5) George Russell 2
6) Kmag 2
7) Max Verstappen 1
8) Sergio Perez 1
9) Lando Norris 1
10) Pierre Gasly 1

Ocon is a bit of a surpsie there to me

Apparently Ocon was too aggressive with Alonso yesterday and Alpine aren’t happy. Is this true?

Sainz is the most consistent driver on the grid. Also, Ocon needs to deliver this year. He’ll probably be helped out with Alonso retiring, who has been unlucky this year. He had a mechanical issue running 6th yesterday and was ahead of Ocon again in Bahrain before Alpine messed his strategy up.

I think Piastri and Ocon will be at Alpine next season.

Original post by quasa
Say what you will about the country. This race was very very great. Also safe to say this is the best duel in the dessert in terms of f1

Was this better than Hamilton Rosberg in Bahrain in 2014? That was one of the best races I ever watched live.

If Leclerc Verstappen was better, it must have been tremendous. Two young drivers battling it out for the rest of the season.
Original post by Driving_Mad
Apparently Ocon was too aggressive with Alonso yesterday and Alpine aren’t happy. Is this true?

Sainz is the most consistent driver on the grid. Also, Ocon needs to deliver this year. He’ll probably be helped out with Alonso retiring, who has been unlucky this year. He had a mechanical issue running 6th yesterday and was ahead of Ocon again in Bahrain before Alpine messed his strategy up.

Was this better than Hamilton Rosberg in Bahrain in 2014? That was one of the best races I ever watched live.

If Leclerc Verstappen was better, it must have been tremendous. Two young drivers battling it out for the rest of the season.

Im doing my little team by team review now (as you know its bascially my opinion lol) but I felt Ocon was agressive but just stayed on the correct side of the line (his block on Alonso was the sketchy bit) ALpine are fine I think but I don;'t think they;d want it that tense again as they lost time to Bottas. The reason it played out like it did may be more to do with track layout.

Agreed on Sainz, Re Bahrian with Ocon he was faster than Alonso anyway, and I also agree with you on Alpine next year
Williams: A poor showing in Jeddah by Williams and especially Nicholas Latifi. Latifi had one of his weakest weekends for a while crashing in Q1 and then again in the race. The qualifying crash was more understandle as it was a tricky corner on the track and these things happen. The race was more strange, he seemed to boot the throttle and it just spun the tyres and he went into the wall. It was a really amateurish looking crash for Latifi who will be alarmed by the gap to his teammate Albon. Albon was good again in Jeddah, he wasn’t quite able to repeat his Q2 heroics from bahrain but he was very close to outqualifying Hamilton. Albon had some decent race pace and with people’s retirments and strategy etc was for a moment at least running inside the points but was soon done by Magnussen and Hamilton. His overtake attempt on Stroll at the end was a little ambitious but Stroll, I felt, turned in on Albon and the penalty for Alex was very harsh. The Williams seems to have suffered along with Merc and its other customers and it is showing.

Aston Martin: Once again Hulkenburg was in the car in place of Vettel and to be honest with the performance as it is I don’t think Sebby will want to drive that car. Stroll did a really good job getting that car out of Q1, like Albon did in Bahrain, while Hulkenburg not probably fully fit and on this track for the first time ever struggled to 18th on the grid. In the first section of the race the AM’s did little of note apart from Hulkenburg starting on the hard tyres. This became a factor after the Latifi S.C as Hulkenburg on his hard tyres (along with Kmag and Lewis) stayed out and gained track position, he was however unlike the othertwo unable to maintain the track position and dropped back down. Stroll spent his race running outside the points and was largely unspectacular, he rose into p9 later in the race due to retirments and others pitting but never really had a chance against Kmag or Lewis. Stroll then in a battle with Albon turned into the corner after Albon made the move and the two made contact, its something we have seen in the past with Albon and again the other guy gets a penalty (like Kvyat in Bahrian 2020). AM is in a very poor position at the moment and they could easily lose Seb next year.

Alfa Romeo: Alfa were unlucky not to score any points in Jeddah, Zhou had a bit of a scrappy race getting a penalty for track limits and a poor start earlier in the race and then Alfa made an Amatuerish error by not serving in under the s.c pitstop (although i thought he did serve it to be honest) and that earned him a drive thru from which he never really had any chance of points but did a solid enough job to finish P11. Bottas remarkably continued his Q3 run and got the Alfa P8 on the grid, He was having a solid race in the first portion running behind the battling Alpines before getting ocon. After the Sc he was running solidly in the points near Alonso and Kmag but unfortunately had an issue with with car which forced a retirement. Unluky from Bottas as he deserved more from this race, at this early stage Bottas is one of the stars of the season (along with Kmag)

Haas: Kmag continued his impressive start to 2022. On a track he has never visited before he was once again on it from the start getting into Q3. Kmag was having a decent race, he started on the hard tyres and was in the long haul sitting nicely behind Bottas and the battling Alpine’s. The Safety Car for Latifi hindered Kmag as it helped those Medium starters get a free pitstop over Kmag, meaning Kmah had fresher tyred cars right behind him. He did well to hold off Alonso and even had a small cheeky battle with Hamilton. A late VSC for the breakdowns saved Kmag as he made a semi-free pitstop dropping only to p11 and he was able to get back up to p9, outpacing Hamilton and being right on gasly at the end. Had the S.C played out better for him it could have been another p78-p8 for Mags but it is what it is. Mick was lucky to not be hurt more as that was a terrifying crash, he was on course for a potential Q3 at this point as well which would have been huge for him. One thing I didn’t like was the commentary which moreorless stated you don’t expect a car to crash there, car fialures and speed mean we should be making every corner as safe as possible, plus it is reasonable to plan for a car losing it on that kerb and being speared into the wall. Im gald Mick is ok and hope he is reocveered and fully fighting fit for Melbourne.

AlphaTuari: A horribly unlucky weekend for Yuki Tsuonda. Having the car break down in qualifying and then again before the race is massively unlucky and a worry for RB as a whole, its also a concern for Tsuonda as he was not able to show anything he was capable of on a weekend where RB juniors shon in F2. Gasly had a solid weekend again getting into Q3. He struggled a bit at the start as he was done by Kmag and then by Norris, who he soon retook, along with Checo Gasly pitted rather early before the Latifi SC which did not help his race as it dropped him behind the Mclarens, Gasly was able to clear Ricciardo and also gained ground when Alonso and Bottas broke down (as well as the later pitstops for Hamilton and Mags) a solid enough race for Gasly. He was quiet and got the job done and there is not much else to say about it.

Mclaren: Mcalren had a better race in Jeddah than in Bahrian, this was partly down to better pace but also down to better circumstances. They both managed to get out of Q1 this time and qualified p11 and p12, this was partly due to the unusual position of hamilton as well as the crash of Mick and the issues for Yuki which somewhat inflated there position. Both cars were running just outside the points for most of the race. Ricciardo was one of those who broke down and caused the VSC while Norris (having pitted with most the field under the SC) was one of those to gain from the retirements and found himself running p8 from 11th moments ago (kmag pitting under the VSC) Lando had good pace after this however as he closed in on Ocon and had a good battle with him till the end. They are not where they want to be and got lucky as without reitrements and S.c’s Alonso, Bottas, Kmag and Hamilton would all be beating Norris but you got to be in it to win it.

Alpine: Alpine were certainly having a spirited battle in the race, Alpine were solid in Jeddah and the best of the rest (im putting Mercedes in p3 on their own) and it showed with both cars getting into Q3 (Ocon even beating Russell). In the race they were very evenly matched with the DRS giving the car behind the advantage most of the time. Ocon’s defence when Alonso made his first attack was very sketechy as he did move quite late, but it was just on the right side of the line . You can tell it irked Fernando though as when he overtook Ocon a lap or so later Alonso was rather aggressive with him a little more so than we normally see from Fernando. The pair continued battling for the next few lap with Fernando always keeping the place using the old breaking the tow tactics (something ocon didn’t deloy) Although it was great viewing the battle was not helping Alpine as it allowed Bottas and the hard tyre starting Kmag to close in on the battle with Bottas eventually getting Ocon as Alonso escaped. The SC split the pair up as Ocon had to double stack which gave Alonso some breathing room. Alonso sat behind Kmag before launching an attack on him, but then some back luck as the Renault Engine said good night and Alonso dropped back and out of the race, Ocon contiuned gaining from the retirements of Alonso Bottas and the pitstop of Kmag into p6 but had Lando bearing down on him, Lando should have bene easy to hold off to the end but nonetheless they had a little battle. The Merc PU is down as Ocon breezed back past Lando at one point and raced him to the line like last year, this time for Ocon he was able to keep the car behind (maybe its just Bottas who deos on the line overtakes on the last lap) a solid good race for Alpine who move into 4th in the constructors.

Mercedes: Mercedes are the 3rd best team at the moment, far enough on race pace ahead of the rest to not really be troubled by them but far enough behind the top 2 to not be an issue for them either. Russell had a very quiet weekend. He qualified roughly where you’d expect him to (p6), quickly got past the Alpine of Ocon and was not really troubled by anyone for the rest of the race. It was a very 2017-2018 Red Bull esque race, not being fast enough but just being there to pick up any pieces had something gone wrong up front. A good race from Russell. Hamilton had a tough weekend, I feel he would have been one of those who felt more strongly about not wishing to race in Saudi after the misisle attack on friday although that is just pure speculation on my part. Hamilton semeed to struggle with the setup in Qualifying and was eliminated in Q1 for the first time on pure pace since 2009 I think (all subsequent Q1 eliminations since then have been crash or weather impacted) For whatever reason lewis was just lacking straight line speed compared to even other Merc customers. The starting the session on the mediums also didn’t help matters. In the race pace the Merc is more consistently the 3rd best car and Lewis was making his way through the pack nicely towards a P6 finish. The SC for Latifi didn’t help as it gave Ocon and co a free pitstop, Hamilton still had decent enough pace to pull away from the pack but not by a huge margain. Merc ultimately made a strategy blunder by not pitting under the VSC when ricciardo stopped. They had time before the pits were closed but for whatever reason were slow on the uptake, something we have seen from Merc before. Hamilton then pitted after the VSC and came out P12 but was able to move ahead of Stroll and Albon but rather worryingly could not hold a candle to Kmag.

Ferrari: Ferrari continued their very strong start to 2022 in Jeddah. The red team were on it in Saudi and were topping the practice sessions as well as Q1 and Q2. A red lockout looked possible until Perez came from nowhere and nicked pole right at the last minute. Still, second and 3rd on the grid was good for Ferrari. Sainz lost a place at the start to Verstappen, it was not a bad start for Carlos just the way the shuffling about played out. From there on Ferrari were on the strategy game trying to outfox red bull (also according to Leclerc’s engineer they had better deg than RB, something we saw in Bahrian). Leclerc gained the position on Perez with rather lucky S.C timing for the Mexican and Sainz also gained p3 (although only after the safety restart). Sainz after this had a very quiet race running in p3, like in Bahrian he never had the pace to challenge to top 2 but was comfortable from Checo. Leclerc had the measure of Max until the VSC, the Ferrari was rapid round sector 1 while the RB was a missile down the staight (like last year with Max v Lewis, Lewis being the straight line misisle) but Leclerc was crucially able to keep Max out of DRS. The VSC changed this as the delta times and whatnot allowed max to close back in to max. His tyre warmup seemed better than the Ferrari and he was able to close up to attack. Leclerc once again, like in Bahrian showed some excellent race-craft, firstly on the restart by not putting up with Max’s mind games pulling alongside. Leclerc simply put him on the marbles and then went. In the first battle with Max he played his bahrain trick, letting Max go and then blasting back past with DRS, on the next attempt both nearly stopped before the DRS line until leclerc booted the throttle and escaped again. Eventually Leclerc was outdone and lost the lead, he could have retaken the lead but was hindered by the yellow. Still a 2-3 the first consecutive double podium since 2019 and the best start to a season since the ridicolosuly dominant 2004. Imola in a month is going to be some atmosphere.

Red Bull: Red Bull have built a missile this year, the car just has massive straightline speed gaining over a second on the Merc of Hamilton over practice and qualifying. I was thrilled to see Perez get his first pole, he is a lovely bloke and deserved that, it was a very strong lap and a little surprise considering the form Ferrari were showing through practice and in Q1 and Q2. Verstappen seemed to struggle a bit in qualifying and just couldn’t get a lap hooked together, he made up a little for that at the start with his move on Sainz while Perez kept the lead. Perez got very unlucky with the S.C and there was nothing he could have done about that. The incident under the SC with Perez and Sainz was odd, Sainz was clearly ahead and it should have been sorted under the SC before the restart, these sorts of things with illegal overtakes and letting cars back through should be solely rules based and not tactical. Perez after this didn’t have the pace and dropped back in p4. Max was stalking Leclerc for the rest of the race hovering outside the DRS zone, his big break came with the VSC as the RB warmed its tyres up faster than the Ferrari and he was able to mount an attack. Leclerc showed better racecraft with the DRS battle initially but Max was able to learn in the end and get Leclerc towards the end and winning the race. Once again a great battle between the two young stars.
Original post by Driving_Mad

Far far better than ham vs rosberg in 2014
Appabreky the 2023 vegas race will be a Saturday night race so Sunday morn for us
Some sad news from the coroners today.

After learning his cancer was terminal, max Mosley committed suicide

Shame it had to end that way
Expect Las Vegas confirmation tonight.

Track will use part lf the strip