The Student Room Group

A level literature NEA

heya , i have the duchess of malfi for my coursework . i'm thinking about doing it about power women have or political corruption . Does anyone have any book recommendations i can compare to the DOM with these themes ?
Love the DOM, wonderful choice! It might be an idea to go for a completely different text so you can really compare the two. The Doll's House is a fan favourite for themes like women and power (or lack thereof). Hedda Gabler is another play that tackles these issues and there's lots of materials out there.

Alternatively it might be an idea to do a prose text (or poetry) so you can compare structural elements (I did one play and one prose text). In terms of political corruption, dystopian fiction is the first thing that comes to mind so maybe some Orwell, F451, Handmaid's Tale (again both women and political corruption). In terms of female centric texts, The Colour Purple, The Collector and classic novels like Dracula all have women who are really objectified in them. In terms of female power, you could always contrast DOM to a female villain - such as Annie Wilkes in Stephen King's Misery or the wonderfully manipulative Becky Sharp from Vanity Fair.

Hope this helps!! XX
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by allstoriesrtrue
Love the DOM, wonderful choice! It might be an idea to go for a completely different text so you can really compare the two. The Doll's House is a fan favourite for themes like women and power (or lack thereof). Hedda Gabler is another play that tackles these issues and there's lots of materials out there.

Alternatively it might be an idea to do a prose text (or poetry) so you can compare structural elements (I did one play and one prose text). In terms of political corruption, dystopian fiction is the first thing that comes to mind so maybe some Orwell, F451, Handmaid's Tale (again both women and political corruption). In terms of female centric texts, The Colour Purple, The Collector and classic novels like Dracula all have women who are really objectified in them. In terms of female power, you could always contrast DOM to a female villain - such as Cathy Bates in Stephen King's Misery or the wonderfully manipulative Becky Sharp from Vanity Fair.

Hope this helps!! XX

This helped so much , Thank you !
Original post by mrkrabs19
This helped so much , Thank you !

No problem, hmu if you have any questions (I tutor in my spare time and completed my NEA last year so I'm intimately familiar with all the boring markscheme stuff)
hi, im also doing the duchess of malfi for my coursework and i like the book bloody chamber as im into gothic books etc but im finding it hard on what i can compare the duchess of malfi and bloody chamber for?
Original post by woods4444
hi, im also doing the duchess of malfi for my coursework and i like the book bloody chamber as im into gothic books etc but im finding it hard on what i can compare the duchess of malfi and bloody chamber for?

I’m afraid I’ve not read the bloody chamber but again perhaps something like the presentation of women as a reflection of social hierarchies. Or themes like revenge, corruption and deception always work well for gothic books.
Reply 6
Original post by woods4444

hi , my teacher recommended that book last week in relation to women , a feminist reading etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending