megana4901
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I am meant to be moving into university accomodation on the 1st of October, but after hearing stories about Manchester and Glasgow, this is making me have second thoughts. My first potential class on campus is timetabled for the 19th of October, but the university have already said they will poll students on whether they would prefer this to be online. My dilemma is do I make the 200 mile journey for this or do I stay at home?
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Trust your gut instinct and listen to what your feelings are telling you.

Consider which option is most suitable to your personal circumstances:
Studying online and continuing to live at home with your family?
Or living independently in student only campus accommodation 200 miles away from home, attending classes either physically or online according to what the uni decides?

Good luck!
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
I would stay at home personally. It would be horrible to be stuck in a lockdown or in halls of residence with people you don’t know very well or don’t get on with. As long as you have a well lit, ambient study space in your home, I would work online for the time being.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by megana4901)
I am meant to be moving into university accomodation on the 1st of October, but after hearing stories about Manchester and Glasgow, this is making me have second thoughts. My first potential class on campus is timetabled for the 19th of October, but the university have already said they will poll students on whether they would prefer this to be online. My dilemma is do I make the 200 mile journey for this or do I stay at home?
Hiya!

I think the situation at the moment is very volatile and things could be changing very quickly. I would suggest writing a pros and cons list for whether you should move into university to balance out your thoughts and to also speak to your friends and family about what they advise. I think being stuck in another possible lockdown in a new place and not knowing many people could be quite a daunting experience but could also be a great one depending on the situation (i.e. if you get on well with your flat mates). I think the majority of university's are having most content taught online so it would be possible to live at home, but also could be great fun being at uni and making friends with your flatmates whilst having your lectures online. Do what you think you would feel most comfortable in and perhaps wait a few days or a week to see if there are any developments in whether there will be another lockdown and to settle on your thoughts.

Sam- Official Student Rep
Mkb24764
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You'll be paying for uni accom regardless remember.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (57)
15.49%
I'm not sure (11)
2.99%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (127)
34.51%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.63%
I'm not a current university student (167)
45.38%

Watched Threads