The Student Room Group

How are we supposed to make friends in a pandemic

So I currently go to a Russell group uni going into 3rd year. All my mates are staying home for the year so I was wondering how I'm supposed to make friends this academic year.
Hey there.

So you're going into 3rd year - are you living at the campus then? And you've made friends already from the 1st and 2nd years?

Honestly there's no helpful answer to this question because yes, it is really hard to make friends in this situation. But surely, you can see a register list of people attending your 3rd year classes and somehow get their contact details? Don't you guys have remote society video calls going on as well - maybe your uni might be helpful in seeing how you can make new friends this year remotely.

2bh the easiest thing to do is just video call with the friends you got already. No harm in just sticking with them.
Reply 2
Original post by 21ForEva
Hey there.

So you're going into 3rd year - are you living at the campus then? And you've made friends already from the 1st and 2nd years?

Honestly there's no helpful answer to this question because yes, it is really hard to make friends in this situation. But surely, you can see a register list of people attending your 3rd year classes and somehow get their contact details? Don't you guys have remote society video calls going on as well - maybe your uni might be helpful in seeing how you can make new friends this year remotely.

2bh the easiest thing to do is just video call with the friends you got already. No harm in just sticking with them.

That is no substitute for face to face social contact though is it. Hopefully some small societies can go ahead. What about house/flatmates?How about doing some activities as a group with them.
You're not, obviously.
Original post by Scotney
That is no substitute for face to face social contact though is it. Hopefully some small societies can go ahead. What about house/flatmates?How about doing some activities as a group with them.

Unfortunately this situation is what it is. Of course video calls it the substitute nowadays - I mean the young generation are on their phones all the time texting/calling (not so much calling nowadays 2bh). So video calls is all you got and we're just going to have to live with it, I'm afraid. I mean, it could be worse so we're going to have to make do with the fact that we are fortunate enough to have phones and laptops and wi-fi.

For safety reasons, if you do have flatmates, just stick with them but of course wear your mask just in case.

Or if you would like, @anonymous just join Bumble Friends and see if you can swipe right on people who are in London :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
If your uni is in London I would love to be friends with you! Im studying Physics at KCL and am a first year!!
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
So I currently go to a Russell group uni going into 3rd year. All my mates are staying home for the year so I was wondering how I'm supposed to make friends this academic year.

Once lectures/tutorials start will you not be able to see who is on campus for your subject. You could try reaching out to them or if you like sport quite a few outside sports are going ahead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending