The Student Room Group

How to get an A* in EPQ?

I would really like to do an artefact (like a video essay) and I'm leaning towards 'How has the COVID 19 affected the UK's economy [in 2020]?'
I'm taking a level economics, geography and maths.
Is an artefact a good idea and is this question good for trying to get an A* if I do it well?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Hi there, I got an A* in my EPQ a couple of years back so I'll give it a go. I would say that this a great topic for you and your prospective degree- but you need a better question. The question reads very well but it's broad and there's little opportunity for argument- it's hard to perform at A/A* level when the answer is pretty clear from the title- you already know that Covid-19/the government response to it has crashed the economy hugely.

A better question would be something you could argue about. I'm not an economist so you would know better than me, but ideas that come to mind are which sector was affected worst economically, whether the economy can be expected to 'bounce back' in the U-shaped curve the media discusses, maybe evaluating the government response etc. Maybe do some reading on this and then a question may become clear- you want to be evaluating somehow, either different economic consequences or different groups experiencing the same economic consequences
thank you this has helped a lot, i see my question needs to have more argument in it.

Original post by historynerd47
Hi there, I got an A* in my EPQ a couple of years back so I'll give it a go. I would say that this a great topic for you and your prospective degree- but you need a better question. The question reads very well but it's broad and there's little opportunity for argument- it's hard to perform at A/A* level when the answer is pretty clear from the title- you already know that Covid-19/the government response to it has crashed the economy hugely.

A better question would be something you could argue about. I'm not an economist so you would know better than me, but ideas that come to mind are which sector was affected worst economically, whether the economy can be expected to 'bounce back' in the U-shaped curve the media discusses, maybe evaluating the government response etc. Maybe do some reading on this and then a question may become clear- you want to be evaluating somehow, either different economic consequences or different groups experiencing the same economic consequences
Original post by AzureWiggling
thank you this has helped a lot, i see my question needs to have more argument in it.

no worries! It really is a great topic- please don't be put off. Good luck, I know you can do it :biggrin:
Original post by AzureWiggling
I would really like to do an artefact (like a video essay) and I'm leaning towards 'How has the COVID 19 affected the UK's economy [in 2020]?'
I'm taking a level economics, geography and maths.
Is an artefact a good idea and is this question good for trying to get an A* if I do it well?

I got an A* in my EPQ last year but I did mine as a presentation. Like historynerd said make it an arguement, mine was on 'disability and abortion: are we allowed to abort on the basis of disability?' and it was a very medical ethics type questions since I want to do medicine. Since I formed it as a question it made it much easier to talk about. Also in terms of work load, its literally 20x more than the HPQ if you did it, like your literature review needs to be really thorough and the reflection log needs have like a literal paragraph for each day you do the EPQ. Hope this helps even slightly, if you want more clarification don't hesitate to dm me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending