What are my chances of getting an offer from UCL? (Psychology)

Watch
ivanhuang65
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Question catered to undergrad students or offer recipients of UCL.

I am currently a CIE A Level student in Malaysia, and UCL is one of my choice and targeted unis that I have applied to. I am also applying to Cambridge (a pipe dream, but applied anyway), so I decided to submit my application to all 5 of my choice unis in September.

My predicted grades are A*AA, and I am applying to do Bsc Psychology in UCL. Subjects are Psychology, Literature in English and Economics. Weird combo, but I have justified my selection in my personal statement with how it relates to the study of psychology.

With a solid personal statement and strong extracurriculars (math olympiad silver medalist and champion of an R&D competition), what are my chances of admission to UCL?
Last edited by ivanhuang65; 1 month ago
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ivanhuang65)
Question catered to undergrad students or offer recipients of UCL.

I am currently a CIE A Level student in Malaysia, and UCL is one of my choice and targeted unis that I have applied to. I am also applying to Cambridge (a pipe dream, but applied anyway), so I decided to submit my application to all 5 of my choice unis in September.

My predicted grades are A*AA, and I am applying to do Bsc Psychology in UCL. Subjects are Psychology, Literature in English and Economics. Weird combo, but I have justified my selection in my personal statement with how it relates to the study of psychology.

With a solid personal statement and strong extracurriculars (math olympiad silver medalist and champion of an R&D competition), what are my chances of admission to UCL?
UCL is a competitive uni, and they prefer students who have studied another science A-level alongside psychology. Your justification of your choices won't override their standard admissions policy. Your extra curriculars also aren't psychology focused, so this makes them less strong.

Given what you've said about your PS, I'm not sure how solid it actually is.

In your favour, you have high predictions, and you're an international student (so pay high fees).

I would say you have a chance at UCL, but you are by no means certain to get an offer. If you are set on coming to the UK, your other three choices do need to be "safe" choices really.
ivanhuang65
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
UCL is a competitive uni, and they prefer students who have studied another science A-level alongside psychology. Your justification of your choices won't override their standard admissions policy. Your extra curriculars also aren't psychology focused, so this makes them less strong.

Given what you've said about your PS, I'm not sure how solid it actually is.

In your favour, you have high predictions, and you're an international student (so pay high fees).

I would say you have a chance at UCL, but you are by no means certain to get an offer. If you are set on coming to the UK, your other three choices do need to be "safe" choices really.
Thanks for the response! I do know that UCL prefers two subjects out of the sciences and psychology, and since I only have one of the preferred subjects (psychology), I’m at a slight disadvantage. But oh well, it’s too late now to take up another subject. As per your mention of safe uni choices, I do have two (Uni of Manchester and Uni of Edinburgh) which have lower requirements but that I do not mind getting admission to. UCAS’ offer rate calculator puts me at a 72% chance of getting an offer to UCL, but I doubt the numbers’ validity.

I guess you can DM me if you want to have a look at my PS

One of the extracurricular activity I mentioned, the R&D competition, was indeed tied to the field of psychology. I did a study on infants pertaining to developmental and biological psychology, and it was briefly mentioned in my PS.

Fingers crossed! And again, thank you for the feedback.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ivanhuang65)
Thanks for the response! I do know that UCL prefers two subjects out of the sciences and psychology, and since I only have one of the preferred subjects (psychology), I’m at a slight disadvantage. But oh well, it’s too late now to take up another subject. As per your mention of safe uni choices, I do have two (Uni of Manchester and Uni of Edinburgh) which have lower requirements but that I do not mind getting admission to. UCAS’ offer rate calculator puts me at a 72% chance of getting an offer to UCL, but I doubt the numbers’ validity.

I guess you can DM me if you want to have a look at my PS

One of the extracurricular activity I mentioned, the R&D competition, was indeed tied to the field of psychology. I did a study on infants pertaining to developmental and biological psychology, and it was briefly mentioned in my PS.

Fingers crossed! And again, thank you for the feedback.
We don't review the PS via DM, but if you want someone to look at it, I would strongly suggest using our PS review service.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (538)
33.99%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (650)
41.06%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (322)
20.34%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.61%

Watched Threads