Gl1ttercupk8
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello,
Due to previos struggles in the past year, my predicted grades have dropped horrifically from the T25 predicted grade AAA to BCD. I am hoping that by effort and work I can improve this grade by A Level to get much better grades, as I know last year wasn't indicative of what I know I am capable of. Is it possible that by waiting until actual A Level grades before making a proper UCAS application,essentially taking a gap year, I could still be capable of being accepted into Oxbridge or similar russel group university?
historynerd47
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi, definitely apply with your real grades (as in, during a gap year). That way your predicted grades will be completely irrelevant and application unaffected
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Gl1ttercupk8)
Hello,
Due to previos struggles in the past year, my predicted grades have dropped horrifically from the T25 predicted grade AAA to BCD. I am hoping that by effort and work I can improve this grade by A Level to get much better grades, as I know last year wasn't indicative of what I know I am capable of. Is it possible that by waiting until actual A Level grades before making a proper UCAS application,essentially taking a gap year, I could still be capable of being accepted into Oxbridge or similar russel group university?
I'd wait to get real grades. Depending on what you plan to study Oxbridge and Russell Group are frequently not the best.
bacter1a
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello,
Sounds like a solid idea, what do you want to study?
Gl1ttercupk8
Rep:
?
(Original post by bacter1a)
Sounds like a solid idea, what do you want to study?
I was originally thinking along criminology ,forensic science, psychology or human sciences, but if my grades end up being good enough I’m actually thinking of applying for medicine, as the only reason I’m not applying now Is because of my grades
themagics1992
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I was originally thinking along criminology ,forensic science, psychology or human sciences, but if my grades end up being good enough I’m actually thinking of applying for medicine, as the only reason I’m not applying now Is because of my grades
What GCSEs do you have?
Gl1ttercupk8
Rep:
?
(Original post by themagics1992)
What GCSEs do you have?
988877766 and distinction for english speaking. 6 are in english language and an extra psychology GCSE
themagics1992
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
988877766 and distinction for english speaking. 6 are in english language and an extra psychology GCSE
Don't quote me on actual stats for Oxford GCSE average was like 8-10 A*s or I think it was close to that and even still people get rejected, don't get me wrong you have amazing GCSE reuslts and I'd love to have what you have I just think your better off applying less GCSE heavy medical schools.
I live in Oxford and would never dream to apply there purely on the fact of GCSEs haha.
liverninthered
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by themagics1992)
Don't quote me on actual stats for Oxford GCSE average was like 8-10 A*s or I think it was close to that and even still people get rejected, don't get me wrong you have amazing GCSE reuslts and I'd love to have what you have I just think your better off applying less GCSE heavy medical schools.
I live in Oxford and would never dream to apply there purely on the fact of GCSEs haha.
Correct.

With those GCSEs Oxford medicine isn't really an option - or at least it's very unlikely.

You'll see on this link that very very few people with four 9/8/A*s were interviewed and, it seems, no one with less than 5 was given an offer.
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/me...cal/statistics

This is only for medicine, other courses aren't quite as competitive.

Cambridge medicine might be a possibility but I know less about their admissions process.
bacter1a
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you want to study medicine rather than the others, then i think taking a gap year to reapply with your actual grades might be sensible, as doing the wrong course is probably worse then waiting to do the course you actually want to do
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.26%
I'm not sure (25)
4.46%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (178)
31.73%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.14%
I'm not a current university student (266)
47.42%

Watched Threads