Don't know which textbook to use for a level psychology?

Watch
QueenzOfShadows
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am not sure which book to use? The green-haired one or the companions one with the cat. I really want to get an A* but my teacher insists to use the green-haired one which is less details. Which one should I use?
Hellohsjakodsmka
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Tl;dr get the the cat book.

The Ao1/evaluations in the green haired girl textbook for some topics are sometimes lacking (they may have several generic issues and debates answers and few counter studies/ few methodological issues etc). I think it helps to have an extra evaluation (choose a memorable one or one you can apply to a lot of questions. Tbh you can use common sense sometimes in terms of evaluation especially if it's a study.
Good luck! :hugs:
QueenzOfShadows
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hellohsjakodsmka)

The Ao1/evaluations in the green haired girl textbook for some topics are sometimes lacking (they may have several generic issues and debates answers and few counter studies/ few methodological issues etc). I think it helps to have an extra evaluation (choose a memorable one or one you can apply to a lot of questions. Tbh you can use common sense sometimes in terms of evaluation especially if it's a study.
Thank you for the advise. I agree that the companions book is lacking detail though my teach insists that the cat one is better even though I don't agree.
QueenzOfShadows
Rep:
?

Can you give me ALL your advise that you have to do well in A level psychology please?
Hellohsjakodsmka
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by QueenzOfShadows)
Thank you for the advise. I agree that the companions book is lacking detail though my teach insists that the cat one is better even though I don't agree.
Oh sorry, I meant the cat/companions book is better that the green one, that's what all of this post was about:

Can you give me ALL your advise that you have to do well in A level psychology please?
I'll just C+P one I did ages ago:

Spoiler:
Show
You absolutely don't need to memorise the names of researchers but I used them as a fun way to revise e.g. would write the name on one side of a flashcard with questions and underneath i would draw a funny picture related to the name and the study. For example, for Loftus and Palmer (1974) I would draw a car crashing into a palm tree. This didn't always work so well if the researcher had a boring name but it was so fun to revise haha - remember you need to repeat them regularly

Try to link evaluation points together in your essays, especially if you're making a "generic" evaluation!! You don't need to make a conclusion, but imo an essay runs more smoothly if you're having an "argument with yourself" as opposed to writing every evaluation point you've memorised without considering their relative strengths and weaknesses.

I think that past paper practice is less important for psych than for bio/chem because the answers are less fixed. However, definitely do all of the research methods/application questions and make memory aids for these based on the past papers, using the textbook to fill the gaps.

learn the difference between command words e.g. applications vs implications, discuss vs describe + evaluate), look at the mark schemes/examiner reports for these. You'll probably have some pre-planned essay structures, but practice using these plans for different essays (e.g. comparison essays vs evaluate essays).

This is so important, you need to get better at planning and writing longer essays bc they naturally sets you up for shorter essays and 2/4/6- mark questions, as you just need to trim away to get concise, relevant material. Practice essays often (timed) and get feedback on them.
Also i had to mention that when we would finish a topic I would write 16 mark essays for each one - then take them to your teacher and ask her to mark it and give you feedback. If you want more marks, listen to the feedback they give you, do it again and take it back to them. I remember my psych teacher got so annoyed at me because I'd give her around 3 essays a week to mark so make sure you take it to both of your teachers because it's better to have feedback from more than one person.
QueenzOfShadows
Rep:
?
Oh sorry, I meant the cat/companions book is better that the green one, that's what all of this post was about:

I'll just C+P one I did ages ago:

Spoiler:
Show
You absolutely don't need to memorise the names of researchers but I used them as a fun way to revise e.g. would write the name on one side of a flashcard with questions and underneath i would draw a funny picture related to the name and the study. For example, for Loftus and Palmer (1974) I would draw a car crashing into a palm tree. This didn't always work so well if the researcher had a boring name but it was so fun to revise haha - remember you need to repeat them regularly

Try to link evaluation points together in your essays, especially if you're making a "generic" evaluation!! You don't need to make a conclusion, but imo an essay runs more smoothly if you're having an "argument with yourself" as opposed to writing every evaluation point you've memorised without considering their relative strengths and weaknesses.

I think that past paper practice is less important for psych than for bio/chem because the answers are less fixed. However, definitely do all of the research methods/application questions and make memory aids for these based on the past papers, using the textbook to fill the gaps.

learn the difference between command words e.g. applications vs implications, discuss vs describe + evaluate), look at the mark schemes/examiner reports for these. You'll probably have some pre-planned essay structures, but practice using these plans for different essays (e.g. comparison essays vs evaluate essays).

This is so important, you need to get better at planning and writing longer essays bc they naturally sets you up for shorter essays and 2/4/6- mark questions, as you just need to trim away to get concise, relevant material. Practice essays often (timed) and get feedback on them.
Also i had to mention that when we would finish a topic I would write 16 mark essays for each one - then take them to your teacher and ask her to mark it and give you feedback. If you want more marks, listen to the feedback they give you, do it again and take it back to them. I remember my psych teacher got so annoyed at me because I'd give her around 3 essays a week to mark so make sure you take it to both of your teachers because it's better to have feedback from more than one person.
No I was meant to say that the green haired book is lacking detail* but the companions book has more detail I wrote that by mistake.

And thank you so much for the advice.
Hellohsjakodsmka
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No I was meant to say that the green haired book is lacking detail* but the companions book has more detail I wrote that by mistake.

And thank you so much for the advice.
Ah okay then :lol:
Good luck for a levels :hugs:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (733)
33.86%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (926)
42.77%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (411)
18.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed