Personal statement character count

Watch
avacados1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I was originally over the 4000 character count and 47 lines but after cutting the waffle out, I am now at 3910 characters and 45 lines. Being that short of the limit is fine right? And I have said everything I want to so I would not really know what else to write.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by avacados1)
I was originally over the 4000 character count and 47 lines but after cutting the waffle out, I am now at 3910 characters and 45 lines. Being that short of the limit is fine right? And I have said everything I want to so I would not really know what else to write.
Have you checked it fits on UCAS? Really you should have a line break between each paragraph as it makes it a LOT easier for the admissions tutors to read, and that won't give you that (if it does fit into UCAS)
avacados1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interrobang)
Have you checked it fits on UCAS? Really you should have a line break between each paragraph as it makes it a LOT easier for the admissions tutors to read, and that won't give you that (if it does fit into UCAS)
so its 45 lines and 3910 characters with a line break between all the paras. Does having line breaks between 6 paras and being under a bit look bad or am I overthinking it ?
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
so its 45 lines and 3910 characters with a line break between all the paras. Does having line breaks between 6 paras and being under a bit look bad or am I overthinking it ?
I can't see how it is that many characters with a whole line gap between paragraphs. Have you copied and pasted it into UCAS to check the length?
avacados1
Rep:
?
I can't see how it is that many characters with a whole line gap between paragraphs. Have you copied and pasted it into UCAS to check the length?
Oh crap, there is a whole line gap on google docs but when I paste it into UCAS there is no gap between paragraphs but the character is still at 3910. So when u say there should be a line between paras do u mean on the UCAS format of it?
Plain1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I did 4000 characters exactly and it didn't fit. Copy and paste it in and see how it looks and fits.
avacados1
Rep:
?
(Original post by plainjayne1)
I did 4000 characters exactly and it didn't fit. Copy and paste it in and see how it looks and fits.
On google docs the format of my ps is
para 1

para 2

para 3 and so on but when I paste it on UCAS it goes to
para 1
para 2
para 3 so is the space I'm meant to leave between paragraphs meant to be on the UCAS format?
Mahmoud Magdy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
On google docs the format of my ps is
para 1

para 2

para 3 and so on but when I paste it on UCAS it goes to
para 1
para 2
para 3 so is the space I'm meant to leave between paragraphs meant to be on the UCAS format?
Yes, I think so.. if you click preview it will show you exactly how it will be like on your application
avacados1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mahmoud Magdy)
Yes, I think so.. if you click preview it will show you exactly how it will be like on your application
Yh I have just seen it and its just chunks of text without spaces so I will try to get rid of more text to be able to leave some lines. Thanks for the help
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yh I have just seen it and its just chunks of text without spaces so I will try to get rid of more text to be able to leave some lines. Thanks for the help
That's definitely what I would suggest. Line gaps really help to make it easy to read
avacados1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
That's definitely what I would suggest. Line gaps really help to make it easy to read
I had to merge paragraphs so its 4 paras and not 6 but it definitely looks more readable now. Thanks for your help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (195)
29.73%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (109)
16.62%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.84%
I want to meet current students (55)
8.38%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.77%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (129)
19.66%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.79%
Other things โ€“ I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.2%

Watched Threads