The Student Room Group

What if I move during my Part-Time studies?

Hi,

As an English student, I'm starting a BSc in Astronomy at UCLAN (Part-Time Distance Learning) and I wondered what the implications of my fees would be should I move to Scotland a couple years in to the degree? I may have to move there for work. I heard that if I have already have started my degree and move, I would still be OK. Can anyone verify this?

Many thanks,

Mike
Original post by NovaeSci
Hi,

As an English student, I'm starting a BSc in Astronomy at UCLAN (Part-Time Distance Learning) and I wondered what the implications of my fees would be should I move to Scotland a couple years in to the degree? I may have to move there for work. I heard that if I have already have started my degree and move, I would still be OK. Can anyone verify this?

Many thanks,

Mike

Hi, as long as you are residing in the UK that's fine. If you live in Scotland then you will still apply to SFE. You will not be eligible for a Maintenance Loan unless you have a disability that prevents you from physically attending university.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, as long as you are residing in the UK that's fine. If you live in Scotland then you will still apply to SFE. You will not be eligible for a Maintenance Loan unless you have a disability that prevents you from physically attending university.
Thanks, Isaac

What would the situation be if I apply for the loan when they open for 2021/22, but I end up moving right before I start the course. I'm 32 and lived in England for 32 years. It is distance learning at the end of the day. It's just so confusing all the rules!
What would the situation be if I apply for the loan when they open for 2021/22, but I end up moving right before I start the course. I'm 32 and lived in England for 32 years. It is distance learning at the end of the day. It's just so confusing all the rules!

Will you be moving out of the UK?
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
Will you be moving out of the UK?
Thanks, Isaac

Yep. I managed to get a remote working from home job, based in Scotland. I can work from whatever location I want at the moment, which is presently England. But I may end up needing to relocate if I want to keep the job. It's all dependant upon what happens with Covid this year. I'm just making sure I've covered all bases.
Yep. I managed to get a remote working from home job, based in Scotland. I can work from whatever location I want at the moment, which is presently England. But I may end up needing to relocate if I want to keep the job. It's all dependant upon what happens with Covid this year. I'm just making sure I've covered all bases.

Scotland is in the UK so that's fine. You can move there and still receive funding. As long as you don't move outside the UK.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
Scotland is in the UK so that's fine. You can move there and still receive funding. As long as you don't move outside the UK.
Thanks, Isaac

The thing which confuses me is that it says you have to be in England the date the course starts in order to be eligible. Also, how long would it be after moving Scotland I wouldn't be eligible? I'm just asking in-case I end up not starting for a further year. It all comes down to how this year plays out.
The thing which confuses me is that it says you have to be in England the date the course starts in order to be eligible. Also, how long would it be after moving Scotland I wouldn't be eligible? I'm just asking in-case I end up not starting for a further year. It all comes down to how this year plays out.

Our standard eligibility criteria is:

UK Nationals must meet the below residency requirements as standard for Higher Education funding;

Ordinarily resident* in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for the 3 years immediately before the 1st day of the 1st academic year of their course for reasons other than full-time education (except UK nationals who are exercising their right to reside, please see the Right to Reside section below)

Ordinarily resident in England on the 1st day of the 1st academic year of their course.*
Settled under the terms of Immigration Act 1971 (and not subject to any restrictions on the period for which they may stay).

*Ordinarily resident means where the student calls home, if they move to study then this is their term time address not home address.

If you move to Scotland for the purpose of studying then Scotland will be your term time address. England will still be your home.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 8
Our standard eligibility criteria is:

UK Nationals must meet the below residency requirements as standard for Higher Education funding;

Ordinarily resident* in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for the 3 years immediately before the 1st day of the 1st academic year of their course for reasons other than full-time education (except UK nationals who are exercising their right to reside, please see the Right to Reside section below)

Ordinarily resident in England on the 1st day of the 1st academic year of their course.*
Settled under the terms of Immigration Act 1971 (and not subject to any restrictions on the period for which they may stay).

*Ordinarily resident means where the student calls home, if they move to study then this is their term time address not home address.

If you move to Scotland for the purpose of studying then Scotland will be your term time address. England will still be your home.
Thanks, Isaac

Hi Isaac,

As mentioned I'd be moving to Scotland as my work's location is there. The University is UCLAN, but it's distance learning. If I moved, it would be for work and I would be living in Scotland. I'm really confused now as mentioned this before and was told it would be fine, but now getting opposite answers and trying to make heads or tails as to which part is correct and which is not, ha.
Hi Isaac,

As mentioned I'd be moving to Scotland as my work's location is there. The University is UCLAN, but it's distance learning. If I moved, it would be for work and I would be living in Scotland. I'm really confused now as mentioned this before and was told it would be fine, but now getting opposite answers and trying to make heads or tails as to which part is correct and which is not, ha.

You currently live in England and would be eligible for SFE funding not SAAS funding. Based on everything you have said you will be eligible for funding. You can move to Scotland to study.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 10
You currently live in England and would be eligible for SFE funding not SAAS funding. Based on everything you have said you will be eligible for funding. You can move to Scotland to study.
Thanks, Isaac

Hi Isaac,

What I mean is my course starts 13/09/2021. I'll be applying for student finance as soon as it opens. What I'm worried about is that I may end up needing to move late August/early September next year. So even though I'll have applied, I will already have permanently moved to Scotland for work reasons. So I will be living in Scotland on the day the course starts.
Hi Isaac,

What I mean is my course starts 13/09/2021. I'll be applying for student finance as soon as it opens. What I'm worried about is that I may end up needing to move late August/early September next year. So even though I'll have applied, I will already have permanently moved to Scotland for work reasons. So I will be living in Scotland on the day the course starts.

If you move to Scotland now to live, not to study (as there are 9 months til university starts) then you may be eligible for SAAS funding but you will need to discuss this with SAAS. I don't think (based on the information you provided) that you will be eligible for SAAS funding.

You will be eligible for SFE funding even if you are living in Scotland on the first day.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 12
If you move to Scotland now to live, not to study (as there are 9 months til university starts) then you may be eligible for SAAS funding but you will need to discuss this with SAAS. I don't think (based on the information you provided) that you will be eligible for SAAS funding.

You will be eligible for SFE funding even if you are living in Scotland on the first day.
Thanks, Isaac

Thanks Isaac,

You've been a great help. I'm kinda glad about that as SAAS only pay like a third to the course fees, whereas SFE pay it all.

Thanks again and I hope you have a good week :smile:
Thanks Isaac,

You've been a great help. I'm kinda glad about that as SAAS only pay like a third to the course fees, whereas SFE pay it all.

Thanks again and I hope you have a good week :smile:

You're welcome. I hope you have a nice week too and good luck with your future studies.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply