worried about my friends mental health and coping mechanisms

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
my best friend is open about the fact that she has trauma, but often makes jokes about it and doesn’t feel as though she needs help, as she doesn’t think anything needs sorting out. she often abuses drugs and alcohol. multiple times a week she will get drunk or take drugs, and she’s a very angry and spontaneous person. she is in pain but will not accept any help. i’m worried about her and don’t know what to do. she gets drunk or high alone all the time and is angry all the time. i try to help but she mocks me, she won’t go to a professional, but she needs to stop these bad habits and i can’t help but think i encourage it by not doing more to help her
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sad fact is you cannot help someone unless they want to help themselves. Do not blame yourself as at least you are being there for them. What is sit with her parents? Might she be persuaded to talk to them or her Gp?
Himynameisdaisy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That is honestly a tough one. Unfortunately your friend doesn’t want to accept help at the present moment of time, and that is in no way in any shape or form your fault. Do you go to school together? In which case I suggest going to a teacher that both of you trust and talk to them about it. I know it may feel as though you’re betraying her trust by doing this (I’ve been there) but ultimately you’re trying to do the right thing by her, and trying to keep her safe. Keep trying to get her help, but don’t do it at the cost of your own mental health.
shebk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm sorry to hear that. How old is she? Is she a student?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (190)
29.41%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.41%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.98%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.36%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.89%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.81%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.88%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed