The Student Room Group

Should I go to the Open University?

I’ve already done 3 years of traditional uni and I messed about I developed a mental illness and I really struggle with fitting in I really struggle with listening in lectures it’s not for me. My dads already paid a lot for university accommodation and I basically want to get settled have children and move on with my life. The only con to it is Ill have to live at home for 3 years but I kind of need to while I find my feet a bit.
Original post by Paisley99
I’ve already done 3 years of traditional uni and I messed about I developed a mental illness and I really struggle with fitting in I really struggle with listening in lectures it’s not for me. My dads already paid a lot for university accommodation and I basically want to get settled have children and move on with my life. The only con to it is Ill have to live at home for 3 years but I kind of need to while I find my feet a bit.

Hey @Paisley99

I'm a mature student myself and decided to do further study after my undergrad. I did a postgrad in Law and just finished it last year :smile: It was strange going back to uni and starting a new course but the past 3 years have gone by really quickly. I moved home to save on rent but living at home again wasn't as bad as I thought it would be :smile: A friend of mine has just finished uni after 3 years and found it tough too. She's now doing an open uni course and is really enjoying it.

What are you thinking of studying?

Melissa- Student Ambassador
Reply 2
Original post by University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Hey @Paisley99

I'm a mature student myself and decided to do further study after my undergrad. I did a postgrad in Law and just finished it last year :smile: It was strange going back to uni and starting a new course but the past 3 years have gone by really quickly. I moved home to save on rent but living at home again wasn't as bad as I thought it would be :smile: A friend of mine has just finished uni after 3 years and found it tough too. She's now doing an open uni course and is really enjoying it.

physics
Reply 3
Hey @Paisley99

if i had mitigating circumstances for 2 years do i have to pay anything?

Where do you live?
Reply 5
Original post by GabiAbi84
Where do you live?

Do you know if they give you the books for the following year earlier if you have time? As I’m only going to do max 60 credits in first year.
Reply 6
Where do you live?

England
Do you know if they give you the books for the following year earlier if you have time? As I’m only going to do max 60 credits in first year.

No, any module materials are sent out once you’re registered on a module. You could perhaps find someone selling their old books and get ahead that way but the OU wouldn’t send out books unless you were on the module.
Reply 8
No, any module materials are sent out once you’re registered on a module. You could perhaps find someone selling their old books and get ahead that way but the OU wouldn’t send out books unless you were on the module.

did you do open uni? how did you find it?
did you do open uni? how did you find it?

Yes I’ve just graduated this year and am starting my Masters with them in January.
I really enjoyed it-was perfect for what I needed.

Hi @Paisley99

It would all depend on your individual circumstances such as if you are not able to do work due to health reasons. If your mitigating circumstances are health-related, you can log these with student support and mention them to your tutor. Also, would you be receiving SAAS or self-funding as this would affect your tuition fees?

(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
Hi @Paisley99

It would all depend on your individual circumstances such as if you are not able to do work due to health reasons. If your mitigating circumstances are health-related, you can log these with student support and mention them to your tutor. Also, would you be receiving SAAS or self-funding as this would affect your tuition fees?

Whats SAAS? And I heard I can have a whole degree funded by student finance if it’s OU and a STEM degree is this true?
Whats SAAS? And I heard I can have a whole degree funded by student finance if it’s OU and a STEM degree is this true?

Saas is Scottish student finance.
If you don’t have a degree yet then you would get any degree fully funded from OU because it’s part time funding and so not effected by previous funding.
If you do already have a degree then you can get a part time degree funded for certain STEm subjects with the OU.
OU is always counted as part time funding even if you study 120 credits a year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending