The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Black people in Lancaster

Hey, guys, I'm a black girl going to the University of Cumbria at the Lancaster campus, but I'm a bit nervous and was wondering if there were any black people in Lancaster to make friends with obviously I'm open to all race but for comfort reasons, it would be nice to meet other black people.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Odd I have never thought of going to my own race specifically for comfort if this something that’s common ?
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Mason223
Odd I have never thought of going to my own race specifically for comfort if this something that’s common ?

There are cultural differences even within a country and looking at the political climate we live in there is always a fear of discrimination. Your own people would not do so.

it is pretty common for minorities to seek each other out. including ethnic minorities, women & lgbt people.
Reply 5
Original post by dokyeom
There are cultural differences even within a country and looking at the political climate we live in there is always a fear of discrimination. Your own people would not do so.

My own people ? My people are the same as yours if you live in England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by MadameRazz
it is pretty common for minorities to seek each other out. including ethnic minorities, women & lgbt people.

Since when were women a minority?

There are almost 1 million more women than men living in the UK
Reply 7
Original post by MadameRazz

Oh didn’t know that I see women separate but I live in a rural area so not many homosexuals or other ethnicity’s here so don’t really see them separate into groups
Original post by MrSandyWilly

Perhaps someone should tell Mr Johnson that given the low opinion he has of them.

I think when they say minority in the sense that people who have faced discrimination in the past
Original post by standardolo
I think when they say minority in the sense that people who have faced discrimination in the past

Poor choice of words then :tongue:

easier to just include women in minority rather than have to specify "and women because of oppression" but you made me do it anyway.
My own people ? My people are the same as yours if you live in England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

? As in your own people wouldn't discriminate you.............
Well everyone discriminates to some extent it’s just natural but I get your point
Reply 14
Have you checked out The Gregson Centre? Give them a call and see if they have anything going on that might interest you. It's super inclusive there with many groups, or there was pre-covid. If there's nothing suitable, they may still be able to point you in the right direction.
One of the things you can do is reach out on social media sites that the unis do. Not sure about UClan, but when my daughter joined lancaster ones around April of this year, Lancs did a freshers group page, and then from there people chatted and got added to various groups under 'subject course', 'accommodation type' , and you can get to know people that way.

If your applying for 2021, then best time to join groups is April/May 2021 as they tend to start about then. Her subject group chat virtually met up once a week to do quiz nights, online escape rooms etc. When my daughter started this weekend, shes met up with them all she chatted with since April; and plus with her new flatmates too, she loves it. And because its covid, her subject group will be ongoing on line to help each other out with problem sheets together.

If you are about to start this year, there will be societies you can also join too to make friends :smile:
https://www.uclansu.co.uk/groups societies. found the link
Reply 17
Original post by Ghostlady
https://www.uclansu.co.uk/groups societies. found the link

She's at university of Cumbria. Lancaster don't have a uclan. Preston has uclan.
Original post by Plain1
She's at university of Cumbria. Lancaster don't have a uclan. Preston has uclan.

My bad lol https://www.ucsu.me/groups
I’m an ethnic minority but have nothing in common with black people or Indians culturally more so than white people. Am I supposed to go to them for comfort just because there’s lots of whites? Lol. My university is like 95% white but I get on with everyone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending