Black people in Lancaster

Watch
Vickythebarb
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey, guys, I'm a black girl going to the University of Cumbria at the Lancaster campus, but I'm a bit nervous and was wondering if there were any black people in Lancaster to make friends with obviously I'm open to all race but for comfort reasons, it would be nice to meet other black people.
Last edited by Vickythebarb; 1 year ago
Mason223
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Odd I have never thought of going to my own race specifically for comfort if this something that’s common ?
dokyeom
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mason223)
Odd I have never thought of going to my own race specifically for comfort if this something that’s common ?
There are cultural differences even within a country and looking at the political climate we live in there is always a fear of discrimination. Your own people would not do so.
MadameRazz
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
it is pretty common for minorities to seek each other out. including ethnic minorities, women & lgbt people.
Theloniouss
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
This might help you: https://www.ucas.com/file/90511/download?token=ZN8iCOBd
Mason223
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dokyeom)
There are cultural differences even within a country and looking at the political climate we live in there is always a fear of discrimination. Your own people would not do so.
My own people ? My people are the same as yours if you live in England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Last edited by Mason223; 1 year ago
username5178572
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MadameRazz)
it is pretty common for minorities to seek each other out. including ethnic minorities, women & lgbt people.
Since when were women a minority?

There are almost 1 million more women than men living in the UK
Mason223
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MadameRazz)
Oh didn’t know that I see women separate but I live in a rural area so not many homosexuals or other ethnicity’s here so don’t really see them separate into groups
username402722
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MrSandyWilly)

Perhaps someone should tell Mr Johnson that given the low opinion he has of them.
standardolo
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

I think when they say minority in the sense that people who have faced discrimination in the past
username5178572
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by standardolo)
I think when they say minority in the sense that people who have faced discrimination in the past
Poor choice of words then
MadameRazz
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

easier to just include women in minority rather than have to specify "and women because of oppression" but you made me do it anyway.
dokyeom
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
My own people ? My people are the same as yours if you live in England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
? As in your own people wouldn't discriminate you.............
Mason223
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Well everyone discriminates to some extent it’s just natural but I get your point
Plain1
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Have you checked out The Gregson Centre? Give them a call and see if they have anything going on that might interest you. It's super inclusive there with many groups, or there was pre-covid. If there's nothing suitable, they may still be able to point you in the right direction.
𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
One of the things you can do is reach out on social media sites that the unis do. Not sure about UClan, but when my daughter joined lancaster ones around April of this year, Lancs did a freshers group page, and then from there people chatted and got added to various groups under 'subject course', 'accommodation type' , and you can get to know people that way.

If your applying for 2021, then best time to join groups is April/May 2021 as they tend to start about then. Her subject group chat virtually met up once a week to do quiz nights, online escape rooms etc. When my daughter started this weekend, shes met up with them all she chatted with since April; and plus with her new flatmates too, she loves it. And because its covid, her subject group will be ongoing on line to help each other out with problem sheets together.

If you are about to start this year, there will be societies you can also join too to make friends
𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
https://www.uclansu.co.uk/groups societies. found the link
Plain1
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ghostlady)
https://www.uclansu.co.uk/groups societies. found the link
She's at university of Cumbria. Lancaster don't have a uclan. Preston has uclan.
𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Plain1)
She's at university of Cumbria. Lancaster don't have a uclan. Preston has uclan.
My bad lol https://www.ucsu.me/groups
Siciliano
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I’m an ethnic minority but have nothing in common with black people or Indians culturally more so than white people. Am I supposed to go to them for comfort just because there’s lots of whites? Lol. My university is like 95% white but I get on with everyone
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
6.42%
October 2021 (253)
45.1%
November 2021 (67)
11.94%
December 2021 (70)
12.48%
January 2021 (73)
13.01%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (45)
8.02%