Feeling down about sixth form

Watch
HanShotFirst01
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
A lot of people seem to have an idea of what they want to do by now (medicine, engineering etc) but I have no idea what I want to do and I feel like everything is a bit pointless right now. I'm currently doing history, economics and politics for a level and they're all fine for me. My issue is that I always used to be one of the smart students throughout school up until GCSE and now I'm seeing those same people being really successful and pursuing things like medicine. I feel like I've fallen off and I know that I'm not smart enough for STEM subjects (already dropped a level maths) and it's been getting me down lately. I just don't want to end up regretting what I do now in the future.
Gracetoameh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Aww don't worry about it. you don't have to know what you want to do at uni now! (even if you are in your13), you have plenty of time to decide.
Did you consider a gap year? You could maybe travel, get work experience, etc. (find your passion).
Also, you don't have to be good at maths and sciences to be considered 'smart'.
Keep looking at uni courses, try 'Prospect.co.uk'
Have you thought about; Law, politics, History, English literature, Business, Economics...
Honestly there are so many options and you don't have to choose now, it's never too late to know what you want to do.
HanShotFirst01
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Gracetoameh)
Aww don't worry about it. you don't have to know what you want to do at uni now! (even if you are in your13), you have plenty of time to decide.
Did you consider a gap year? You could maybe travel, get work experience, etc. (find your passion).
Also, you don't have to be good at maths and sciences to be considered 'smart'.
Keep looking at uni courses, try 'Prospect.co.uk'
Have you thought about; Law, politics, History, English literature, Business, Economics...
Honestly there are so many options and you don't have to choose now, it's never too late to know what you want to do.
I'm in my fourth week of year 12 right now, I'm mostly just worried that I might not enjoy a subject later on and want to switch when it's too late. I did think about what I could take at up at university and law and economics did come to mind. I think what I'm worried about the most is ending up in a job I'm not happy with and a low income. I just feel like everyone except for me seems to have their entire life planned out and there's nobody I can really relate to as I don't have friends at sixth form whereas most people seem to know each other by now.
Cloudiii
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You know what, I feel the exact same way. Only issue is I’ve just left college so am starting my gap year :/. I am on one because I didn’t know what I wanted to do and am going to apply this year to go uni next year but I still don’t know. Not really advice but maybe it might make you feel better if you know that you aren’t the only one who is unsure of what to do.
Other_Owl
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Why do students who think their smart think they are permanently smart?
Last edited by Other_Owl; 4 weeks ago
_wdw0703_
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by HanShotFirst01)
A lot of people seem to have an idea of what they want to do by now (medicine, engineering etc) but I have no idea what I want to do and I feel like everything is a bit pointless right now. I'm currently doing history, economics and politics for a level and they're all fine for me. My issue is that I always used to be one of the smart students throughout school up until GCSE and now I'm seeing those same people being really successful and pursuing things like medicine. I feel like I've fallen off and I know that I'm not smart enough for STEM subjects (already dropped a level maths) and it's been getting me down lately. I just don't want to end up regretting what I do now in the future.
It seems that you are putting so much pressure on yourself to be the best version of yourself because that is what you are used to. I think that you have to stop overthinking the position you are in because others are most likely to be feeling the same. Also it is common for someone to drop an A-level because four can be overwhelming. I hope that you get back on track and find your place in education. All my love
s4rah678
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by HanShotFirst01)
i can relate ☹️ honestly just talk to someone i felt really out of place at sixth form knowing that most people know what they want to do but it turns out a lot of people also feel the same way. you have your whole life ahead of you to figure out your passion remember that .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (173)
14.59%
I'm not sure (54)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (346)
29.17%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.95%
I'm not a current university student (578)
48.74%

Watched Threads