Teensocks
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I’ve just got into my A- levels I’m doing Psychology, English Lit and History. The problem is I would like to go uni and study medicines so I can be a psychiatrist or study something in human biology however, I didn’t get science at GCSEs.
I already did a year of Travel and Tourism as a BTEC; I know you need Bio and Chem to do medicines so should I retake my Science GCSEs after A levels or give up and find something else ???! Please help!! I know it’s not guaranteed I’ll pass the second time and will there be any point is there another way?
Last edited by Teensocks; 4 weeks ago
laylapone
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
perhaps try looking into medicine with a preliminary year, as far as i understand both cardiff and manchester do these but its definitely worth looking into if you meet the academic criteria.
Alayna1234
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Teensocks)
So I’ve just got into my A- levels I’m doing Psychology, English Lit and History. The problem is I would like to go uni and study medicines so I can be a psychiatrist or study something in human biology however, I didn’t get science at GCSEs.
I already did a year of Travel and Tourism as a BTEC; I know you need Bio and Chem to do medicines so should I retake my Science GCSEs after A levels or give up and find something else ???! Please help!! I know it’s not guaranteed I’ll pass the second time and will there be any point is there another way?
You’ll actually need science a levels (bio and chem) in order to do medicine at uni. In order to do science a levels you’ll need science gcse, I would talk to your school if I was you, they’ll able to advise you
Teensocks
Rep:
?
(Original post by laylapone)
perhaps try looking into medicine with a preliminary year, as far as i understand both cardiff and manchester do these but its definitely worth looking into if you meet the academic criteria.
Thank you, would I still need science and is it worth retaking my science gcse when I finish my A levels?
Teensocks
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alayna1234)
You’ll actually need science a levels (bio and chem) in order to do medicine at uni. In order to do science a levels you’ll need science gcse, I would talk to your school if I was you, they’ll able to advise you
I know I was asking if I should retake the science gcse after doing my A levels.
I’ve looked up the Access to higher but I won’t be 19 by then and I’d still need the gcse. It’s really stressing me out.
Alayna1234
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I know I was asking if I should retake the science gcse after doing my A levels.
I’ve looked up the Access to higher but I won’t be 19 by then and I’d still need the gcse. It’s really stressing me out.
What’s your plan?

Retake GCSEs do science a levels?

Or retake GCSEs and try to do an access to higher education course?

From what I’ve seen there are a few unis that avocet latter eg Plymouth and kings
Last edited by Alayna1234; 4 weeks ago
Teensocks
Rep:
?
What’s your plan?

Retake GCSEs do science a levels?

Or retake GCSEs and try to do an access to higher education course?

From what I’ve seen there are a few unis that avocet latter eg Plymouth and kings
That’s what I mean I’m not sure what works out better after finish my A levels. I live in East London so the distance isn’t ideal
Alayna1234
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That’s what I mean I’m not sure what works out better after finish my A levels. I live in East London so the distance isn’t ideal
If you want more options hence a higher chance I would go with resit gcse and doing those a levels, however it’d be good to call up unis ur interested in and see what situation they would accept.

Another option would be for you to go on to uni and then go grad med but it’s normally not advised since it’s even more competitive
Teensocks
Rep:
?
If you want more options hence a higher chance I would go with resit gcse and doing those a levels, however it’d be good to call up unis ur interested in and see what situation they would accept.

Another option would be for you to go on to uni and then go grad med but it’s normally not advised since it’s even more competitive
Thank you for your help I’m going to talk to someone when I start, someone said you can get into medicine with just a psychology A level but I don’t think it’s true.
Alayna1234
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you for your help I’m going to talk to someone when I start, someone said you can get into medicine with just a psychology A level but I don’t think it’s true.
No problem. Yes do that. If it’s in the U.K. unfortunately no you can’t get into medicine with psychology a level alone
Teensocks
Rep:
?
No problem. Yes do that. If it’s in the U.K. unfortunately no you can’t get into medicine with psychology a level alone
I’m going to talk to someone when I have my induction I’ll update you if you want. Thank you again 🙏🏽
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (177)
14.5%
I'm not sure (56)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (358)
29.32%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.87%
I'm not a current university student (595)
48.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed