Braces or not!!?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So, I have a quite bad overbite and can only see a tiny bit of teeth at the bottom.
You can’t see my teeth when I keep my normal face but when I smile, it protrudes out awkwardly and I’m now 14 but has been offered to get it at 11/12 and got the space to do it at 13 but I rejected it when th orthodontist says I need 4 teeth removed now I’m kind of unsure of weather if I should have it 😖
How old do you have to be until you have to pay for braces?
jas149
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don't think there's usually an age limit when it comes to paying for braces. It really just depends on how extreme your case is (whether you really need braces or if it's just for cosmetic purposes). But yes I do think you should get braces. It's definitely worth it. I remember hating going through that awkward phase of having braces but it really doesn't matter
MedicWil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The user above is incorrect. Braces aren't free for everyone, only certain people get them without paying.

You can receive free dental care (braces, fillings, etc) if you're any of the following:
- Under 18
- Under 19 and in full-time education
- In receipt of certain state benefits

This isn't an exhaustive list but it's the ones that would apply to you. You can see more details at:
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-que...nt-in-england/
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
I currently have braces and I am 15. Really, it's not too bad. Just as long as your willing to eat soft foods for a little while because your teeth are sore from moving, it should be fine. I would definitely say to go for it if your bite is really that bad. I wear rubbers at night to fix my bite and that's not too bad either
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I currently have braces and I am 15. Really, it's not too bad. Just as long as your willing to eat soft foods for a little while because your teeth are sore from moving, it should be fine. I would definitely say to go for it if your bite is really that bad. I wear rubbers at night to fix my bite and that's not too bad either
When did you get them?
Callicious
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Get it while you're young (faster + easier on the body iirc, + the results will last better than if you do it when you're an old fart in your 20's)

I'm also not sure about the pricing, but I know 100% that NHS dental/etc is free under the age of 18 or your first year of Uni/don't quote me.

All I know is that being in Uni I now pay for my orthodontics and dental care. Before Uni, I didn't. Take your choice.
MedicWil
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Callicious)
Get it while you're young (faster + easier on the body iirc, + the results will last better than if you do it when you're an old fart in your 20's)

I'm also not sure about the pricing, but I know 100% that NHS dental/etc is free under the age of 18 or your first year of Uni/don't quote me.

All I know is that being in Uni I now pay for my orthodontics and dental care. Before Uni, I didn't. Take your choice.
If I were you I'd have a look at https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-low-income-scheme
You can get free or subsidised dental treatment, prescriptions, eye tests etc with that scheme and it should save you a bit of money that way
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
When did you get them?
I got them on January 23rd of this year.
Callicious
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by MedicWil)
If I were you I'd have a look at https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-low-income-scheme
You can get free or subsidised dental treatment, prescriptions, eye tests etc with that scheme and it should save you a bit of money that way
Don't qualify >.>
MedicWil
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Callicious)
Don't qualify >.>
Too much savings I assume? Yeah they screw you a bit in that situation tbf
Callicious
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by MedicWil)
Too much savings I assume? Yeah they screw you a bit in that situation tbf
16k really isn't that much considering they basically hand out 9k a year in maintenance loans for free anyway T_T
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (179)
28.59%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (104)
16.61%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.27%
I want to meet current students (52)
8.31%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (50)
7.99%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
20.13%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (37)
5.91%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.19%

Watched Threads