The Student Room Group

film production or forensics ?????

basically my problem is that i've been thinking of doing film production in university for a long time now, i know you don't need to go to university to pursue film but i'm kinda being forced to by my parents to take SOME degree at university and there's nothing else that really interests me. i was thinking of doing forensics as it's more of an appreciated degree (some might say) but i've looked into it more but people say that it's better to take a more science-based degree such as pharmacy or biochemistry etc. and forensics is more of a 'mickey mouse' degree and is very competitive to get into. but at the same time, some can argue that film production is also a 'mickey mouse' degree and is also very competitive but if i prefer film more, i should just do film production in university right???????? the degree can get me a foot in the door within the film industry anyway but i wanted to hear people's opinions on this.
I like northern film school at Leeds Beckett school of arts, they have links with the French film organisations in Cannes, and they were just about to open an impressive massive new film & arts building in Leeds city centre. As there’s a big TV/film industry in Yorkshire, that’s not just a place to study, but a place to learn whilst working, once you qualify. Bournemouth, London colleges also make sense.

Whilst, I love the forensic science genre of TV, and in theory this would be an amazing career, a little hint is encapsulated in this news article from a few years ago.

https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/forensic-science-service-closure-criticised/6432.article

‘struggling’ ‘unstable’ ‘underfunding’ ‘outdated technology’ are phrases that shock from 2012, and I don’t think it has got better! Plus, you’re right - you basically really need a chem degree to get a job in forensics, not a forensics degree. These aren’t really MM degrees, after-all, you can dress anything up by a properly targeted MSc, forensic bachelor then some sort of sociology/criminology and you’d get a great police/MoJ career, probably.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending