Why do I hear so much about people getting pregnant on the pill but don’t know anyone

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
It’s like always friend of a friend haha makes me nervous relying on them as my method still tho are they pretty effective if taken same time each day??
AHKS
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The main reason people get pregnant on the pill is because they were not properly 'on' the pill! Meaning they forgot to take it sometimes or took it late outside of the time window for that day or were sick and it came back up before it had been digested, etc.
Also remember the pill does not protect against STDs so you should only use it on its own in a stable relationship with someone you know well and trust (in an ideal world those are the only people we have sex with, but I'm realistic!).
If you know you can stick to taking the pill at the regular time every day without fail it should be over 99 percent reliable.
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
It’s like always friend of a friend haha makes me nervous relying on them as my method still tho are they pretty effective if taken same time each day??
91% effective in real life generally.
If taken accurately at the right time each day then it's 99% effective.
Elektra06
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
People who get pregnant generally don't take it properly you know missed doses, late doses.
Also certain antibiotics, throwing up soon after taking etc. It's quite effective when taken properly.
I never had any scares on the pill but the stories did shake me a bit and that's why I ultimately switched to the implant
username5430366
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I missed a dose when I traveled because I forgot to calculate different time zones. Now, I'm expecting twins. Not that I see it as a bad thing but I wanted ten more years. If you have a better method like an implant, please, please, please, go for it. In my opinion, pills don't suit everyone's lifestyle.

But if you're not a forgetful dumbo like me, you're perfectly fine. Just be careful if you ever want to switch brands. Some brands cancel each other out so you shouldn't be having sex during the transition period.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
i use the pill and condoms for added piece of mind. i’ve had some scares on the pill so that’s why
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (190)
29.41%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.41%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.98%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.36%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.89%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.81%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.88%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.25%

Watched Threads