Other_Owl
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Say you did an internship at a FAANG company or an apprenticeship Google or the BBC. Can you easily walk into any job in that sector?
Last edited by Other_Owl; 4 weeks ago
AcseI
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm not really sure I'd put Google and the BBC on the same level. Depends an awful lot on many other factors, such as what you did, what you're applying for, whether you are a suitable candidate for the job, etc.

Obviously an apprenticeship at a big, well known company tends to give brownie points on your CV. But I wouldn't go so far as to say it'll be easy and you'll just walk into any other job. There's a lot of factors, and it's better to be humble than assume you're amazing because you worked at some well known company. There's every chance you'd be competing against people better than you, and it's still necessary to try your best.

If anything, if you do an apprenticeship I'd assume you'd actually end up working for that company for a period of time. At which point when you choose to move jobs it's less about the apprenticeship and more about the actual work you did.
Other_Owl
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
You alreadys hear that's it super competitve is to work at all at Facebook, Google etc.
AcseI
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well yes, but I'm not sure what point you're trying to make
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Other_Owl)
Say you did an internship at a FAANG company or an apprenticeship Google or the BBC. Can you easily walk into any job in that sector?
Not so simple.
Id say it would likely get you interviews.

Employers still want to know what you can contribute and what you were able to contribute in these other roles.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by AcseI)
I'm not really sure I'd put Google and the BBC on the same level. Depends an awful lot on many other factors, such as what you did, what you're applying for, whether you are a suitable candidate for the job, etc.

Obviously an apprenticeship at a big, well known company tends to give brownie points on your CV. But I wouldn't go so far as to say it'll be easy and you'll just walk into any other job. There's a lot of factors, and it's better to be humble than assume you're amazing because you worked at some well known company. There's every chance you'd be competing against people better than you, and it's still necessary to try your best.

If anything, if you do an apprenticeship I'd assume you'd actually end up working for that company for a period of time. At which point when you choose to move jobs it's less about the apprenticeship and more about the actual work you did.
I agree
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.61%
I'm not sure (56)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (352)
29.21%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.9%
I'm not a current university student (586)
48.63%

Watched Threads