curiousperson123
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm looking for something similar to STEP learning and tests.
mqb2766
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by curiousperson123)
I'm looking for something similar to STEP learning and tests.
In what way? There are the mat/tmua/aea exams, there is the step foundation program, there is the ukmt problem solving (olympiads).
curiousperson123
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
In what way? There are the mat/tmua/aea exams, there is the step foundation program, there is the ukmt problem solving (olympiads).
Are they done through a school?
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Are they done through a school?
Mat/tmua/aea are entrance exams, like step. Past papers are available, just Google them. The step foundation
https://maths.org/step/assignments
Is for you to work through when you want. You can do past ukmt papers, but you need to register through school for the yearly competition(s).

Why are you asking?
curiousperson123
Rep:
?
Well, I am writing my personal statement and I want to do something related to maths and just be able to learn some skills from it
A lot of these options are entrance exams and done through a school and as I am an external candidate, I'm not sure what to do
Thank you for replying btw
curiousperson123
Rep:
?
Mat/tmua/aea are entrance exams, like step. Past papers are available, just Google them. The step foundation
https://maths.org/step/assignments
Is for you to work through when you want. You can do past ukmt papers, but you need to register through school for the yearly competition(s).

Why are you asking?
Well, I am writing my personal statement and I want to do something related to maths and just be able to learn some skills from it

A lot of these options are entrance exams and done through a school and as I am an external candidate, I'm not sure what to do

mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Most of the entrance exams would be for specific universities/courses. If you're an external candidate, you'd need to contact the institution/exam provider to see how you can sit it, If you need to.
If you've participated in the ukmt (or whichever country you're in), put down how you did/what you learnt/what you find interesting. If it's for a personal statement, this year's competitions may be too late?
You can do online modules by yourself. Obviously it's something you can discuss rather than quantitatively saying you did this well. Just like you could read a few books or ...
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You don't have to sit the exam for STEP, even just doing questions from them without sitting the exam is something that will help you and you can talk about a bit in your PS. Only Cambridge requires STEP.
curiousperson123
Rep:
?
Most of the entrance exams would be for specific universities/courses. If you're an external candidate, you'd need to contact the institution/exam provider to see how you can sit it, If you need to.
If you've participated in the ukmt (or whichever country you're in), put down how you did/what you learnt/what you find interesting. If it's for a personal statement, this year's competitions may be too late?
You can do online modules by yourself. Obviously it's something you can discuss rather than quantitatively saying you did this well. Just like you could read a few books or ...
(Original post by _gcx)
You don't have to sit the exam for STEP, even just doing questions from them without sitting the exam is something that will help you and you can talk about a bit in your PS. Only Cambridge requires STEP.
What is the UK maths challenge? Is it the same as UKMT
Plücker
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What is the UK maths challenge? Is it the same as UKMT
UK mathematics trust. They run the UK maths challenges.
curiousperson123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plücker)
UK mathematics trust. They run the UK maths challenges.
Oh ok thank you
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
FWIW don't worry if the maths challenges are not your thing. It's a very specific and narrow style of maths. I'm doing a maths degree and didn't ever get above a bronze or silver.
curiousperson123
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)
FWIW don't worry if the maths challenges are not your thing. It's a very specific and narrow style of maths. I'm doing a maths degree and didn't ever get above a bronze or silver.
Oh, thank you, yes I understand completely, I want to do economics and I am thinking of doing maths courses online that can relate to economics like statistics and problem-solving. I know the STEP support program provides some free stuff that is also worth trying because I guess it's for the skills and experience. And UKMT also has something for £16.00 called 'first steps for problem solvers' which is worth trying. I know I know I do not have many maths-related things to put on my personal statement like the UKMT, but I guess doing something is better than nothing.

Oh that book is for 11-13 year olds
Are there any books similar to this that you can recommend, that's more appropriate for a 19-year-old?
Last edited by curiousperson123; 3 weeks ago
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Oh, thank you, yes I understand completely, I want to do economics and I am thinking of doing maths courses online that can relate to economics like statistics and problem-solving. I know the STEP support program provides some free stuff that is also worth trying because I guess it's for the skills and experience. And UKMT also has something for £16.00 called 'first steps for problem solvers' which is worth trying. I know I know I do not have many maths-related things to put on my personal statement like the UKMT, but I guess doing something is better than nothing.

Oh that book is for 11-13 year olds
The ukmt have a variety of different challenges/books for different ages/levels. Try a couple of past intermediate challenges and see how you get on. The problem solver books (there is an intermediate successor to the junior one) are pretty good. It does encourage you to think about how to problem solve, but it's not a deal breaker if you find them difficult/not enjoyable. The main thing is to do it. Martin Gardner ran a long column in the US and published a variety of books on recreational maths. Similarly Siklos has a book about STEP, which has some good insights. There are a number of popular maths books you could talk about, but if you're invited for interview, he prepared to back up what you put in your statement. They won't expect you to be 100% solid on it, but they would expect some knowledge / enthusiasm.
nightloc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
you can do some maths MOOCs online
curiousperson123
Rep:
?
The ukmt have a variety of different challenges/books for different ages/levels. Try a couple of past intermediate challenges and see how you get on. The problem solver books (there is an intermediate successor to the junior one) are pretty good. It does encourage you to think about how to problem solve, but it's not a deal breaker if you find them difficult/not enjoyable. The main thing is to do it. Martin Gardner ran a long column in the US and published a variety of books on recreational maths. Similarly Siklos has a book about STEP, which has some good insights. There are a number of popular maths books you could talk about, but if you're invited for interview, he prepared to back up what you put in your statement. They won't expect you to be 100% solid on it, but they would expect some knowledge / enthusiasm.
(Original post by nightloc)
Thank you guys
Yh I am planning on doing a couple of MOOCs/courses and I would like to do something related to problem-solving too like what @mqb2766 said! Preferably a book on all that.
curiousperson123
Rep:
?
(Original post by nightloc)
What is a maths CCA?
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What is a maths CCA?
No idea, any context?
curiousperson123
Rep:
?
No idea, any context?
Someone said they have extreme maths CCA on their personal statement
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Someone said they have extreme maths CCA on their personal statement
Sorry, still no idea. The obvious things to do are
* Things (step foundation, books, ....) that support your a level (maths) learning
* Things that underpin your interest (economics?). Reading relevant books, ...
* Problem solving (ukmt, ...), although you should try and justify your interest, not just to fill up space on your personal statement.
Tbh I'd stress less about finding the perfect activity and just get stuck in and do simething(s) which you're actually interested in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.13%
I'm not sure (26)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (179)
31.63%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.12%
I'm not a current university student (269)
47.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed