world2change
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I started sixth form and got my own copy of textbooks. Just wondering - Is it better to take notes from the textbook, OR to just to annotate my textbook with sticky notes etc. I mean, its my own copy, and im basically rewriting information again from the book, so i feel like im wasting time where i could focus on h/w and classwork notes (i have limited time on my hands every day)

So what do u guys do and think about this?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Part of the process of writing out bits of information from another source in your own words is that it requires you to synthesise the information, which aids recall in future. Just writing it out word for word is not generally productive (although in some contexts rote learning is inevitably necessary e.g. learning grammar and vocab for languages) but writing summaries of what is in the topic section, highlighting areas that you are unsure of and doing further reading around those and adding that to your notes etc, will all reinforce your knowledge of the topic (and your ability to recall that information).
world2change
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Part of the process of writing out bits of information from another source in your own words is that it requires you to synthesise the information, which aids recall in future. Just writing it out word for word is not generally productive (although in some contexts rote learning is inevitably necessary e.g. learning grammar and vocab for languages) but writing summaries of what is in the topic section, highlighting areas that you are unsure of and doing further reading around those and adding that to your notes etc, will all reinforce your knowledge of the topic (and your ability to recall that information).
I was thinking of doing topic summaries like what you said, but can i do it like this - Write topic summaries in sticky notes basically broken down per paragraph of the textbook,(to stick to my textbook) and highlight the important facts of my textbook. So when i revise, i just have to go back to my textbook but focus on the sticky notes/highlighted stuff as a reminder of what i should remember basically (if that makes sense)
Or is still better to make a page of topic summary? I basically take time making notes and i dont write it out word for word though thankfully
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by world2change)
I was thinking of doing topic summaries like what you said, but can i do it like this - Write topic summaries in sticky notes basically broken down per paragraph of the textbook,(to stick to my textbook) and highlight the important facts of my textbook. So when i revise, i just have to go back to my textbook but focus on the sticky notes/highlighted stuff as a reminder of what i should remember basically (if that makes sense)
Or is still better to make a page of topic summary? I basically take time making notes and i dont write it out word for word though thankfully
Personally I think writing it separately is better, because the going back and forth between your notes and the textbook does require you to internalise the material more than if you are just "extending" the notes on the page of your textbook in my opinion, but I don't actually have any empirical evidence to support that being true. My general sense is that it helps you learn the material better if you have more "space" between your version of the material and the textbook content, as you uwill have to spend more time piecing things together mentally and making the connections yourself. But ultimately everyone studies differently and will find different methods work best for them, so try out both and see which works best for you!
world2change
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Personally I think writing it separately is better, because the going back and forth between your notes and the textbook does require you to internalise the material more than if you are just "extending" the notes on the page of your textbook in my opinion, but I don't actually have any empirical evidence to support that being true. My general sense is that it helps you learn the material better if you have more "space" between your version of the material and the textbook content, as you uwill have to spend more time piecing things together mentally and making the connections yourself. But ultimately everyone studies differently and will find different methods work best for them, so try out both and see which works best for you!
Thanks so much. Ur advice has been really helpful
parmezanne
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i'd say writing your own notes! you're a bit limited with sticky notes and they're not as effective (at least for me) :yep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (173)
14.62%
I'm not sure (54)
4.56%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (345)
29.16%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.96%
I'm not a current university student (576)
48.69%

Watched Threads