P0larbear
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi all, I’m in my last year of sixth form and I’m looking to study liberal arts next year. I’m not quite sure yet though- so far I have only found seven universities that study liberal arts as a major. (If you’re interested my shortlist order is Durham, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Bristol, Exeter, Kent). Are there any universities that I have missed out that anybody else knows of? Is there any advice that I should know about these favourites before I apply? Please respond ASAP if I may ask... thank you!

Edit: I have realised that there are a few others that I have already ruled off - Oxbridge is not my style and neither is London, so specifically I am looking for smaller city / campus universities. Thanks!
Last edited by P0larbear; 3 weeks ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
KCL has a liberal arts course I believe. UCL has its Arts & Sciences course, however you are required to mix one of the "arts" pathways with one of the "science" pathways, with one as a major and the other as the minor area. However within the broadly bioscience pathway you can still take mostly modules in e.g. anthropology, archaeology, psychology and similar areas. I believe it does require you to have taken at least one science A-level though.

Depending on the area(s) you want to study, you may also be able to find relevant joint/combined honours degree programmes elsewhere. For example if you are mainly broadly interested in combining areas of different social sciences, HSPS at Cambridge might be of interest. Some otherwise ostensibly single honours degree programmes may also allow you a lot of leeway to pick and choose modules from across the university as well, for example the Logic, Philosophy, and Scientific Method degree at LSE (essentially a philosophy degree with a special name) requires you take half your first year papers outside of philosophy, and you can take a quarter of your papers in subsequent years outside of philosophy (so in total you could study 1/3 of your degree outside of the main area on that course).
P0larbear
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
KCL has a liberal arts course I believe. UCL has its Arts & Sciences course, however you are required to mix one of the "arts" pathways with one of the "science" pathways, with one as a major and the other as the minor area. However within the broadly bioscience pathway you can still take mostly modules in e.g. anthropology, archaeology, psychology and similar areas. I believe it does require you to have taken at least one science A-level though.

Depending on the area(s) you want to study, you may also be able to find relevant joint/combined honours degree programmes elsewhere. For example if you are mainly broadly interested in combining areas of different social sciences, HSPS at Cambridge might be of interest. Some otherwise ostensibly single honours degree programmes may also allow you a lot of leeway to pick and choose modules from across the university as well, for example the Logic, Philosophy, and Scientific Method degree at LSE (essentially a philosophy degree with a special name) requires you take half your first year papers outside of philosophy, and you can take a quarter of your papers in subsequent years outside of philosophy (so in total you could study 1/3 of your degree outside of the main area on that course).
Thank you! My main interests are in history, literature, psychology, and the philosophy part is interesting to me but I'm not sure if I want it to be my main thing. However, what I realised that I should have mentioned at first is that I'm not too keen on going to London (too expensive and big) or Oxbridge (too much pressure). I'm sorry for wasting your time, thanks for the advice anyway.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by P0larbear)
Thank you! My main interests are in history, literature, psychology, and the philosophy part is interesting to me but I'm not sure if I want it to be my main thing. However, what I realised that I should have mentioned at first is that I'm not too keen on going to London (too expensive and big) or Oxbridge (too much pressure). I'm sorry for wasting your time, thanks for the advice anyway.
On the contrary, TSR is where I come exactly to waste time!

You might want to consider Scottish universities, as at least the ancient universities usually allow you to mix and match subjects a fair bit in the first two years (although ultimately you normally end up focusing on just one or two. Edinburgh also has a course called Cognitive Sciences (Humanities) where you can combine various courses in psychology, philosophy, and linguistics (plus computer science/programming, if you want). Although that course doesn't include the historical part, some of the linguistics options may relate to your literary interests, so it might also be worth looking at.
StudentRep Canterbury
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by P0larbear)
Hi all, I’m in my last year of sixth form and I’m looking to study liberal arts next year. I’m not quite sure yet though- so far I have only found seven universities that study liberal arts as a major. (If you’re interested my shortlist order is Durham, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Bristol, Exeter, Kent). Are there any universities that I have missed out that anybody else knows of? Is there any advice that I should know about these favourites before I apply? Please respond ASAP if I may ask... thank you!

Edit: I have realised that there are a few others that I have already ruled off - Oxbridge is not my style and neither is London, so specifically I am looking for smaller city / campus universities. Thanks!
Hi! If you are looking to study at a smaller city and a campus University, I'd strongly recommend University of Kent! As a student there, I have first hand experience of how beautiful our campus is, as is Canterbury town. If you would like to find out more about our Liberal Arts course, simply follow this link:https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/under...3/liberal-arts and feel free to ask further questions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (33)
17.1%
I'm not sure (5)
2.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (68)
35.23%
I have already dropped out (3)
1.55%
I'm not a current university student (84)
43.52%

Watched Threads