The Student Room Group

Should I apply to Oxford?

Hi guys, I'm currently in year 13 studying English Lit., History and RS. I am also completing an EPQ based on literature. I'm extremely passionate about pursuing English and it has always been an interest of mine to study at Oxford...

At GCSE I had 7A*'s, 2A's and 2B'S. At AS-level I had AAAA. This year I'm predicted A*A*A. Do you guys think it's worth me applying? Or are my credentials not competetive enough?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Foaochebakcudua
Hi guys, I'm currently in year 13 studying English Lit., History and RS. I am also completing an EPQ based on literature. I'm extremely passionate about pursuing English and it has always been an interest of mine to study at Oxford...

At GCSE I had 7A*'s, 2A's and 2B'S. At AS-level I had AAAA. This year I'm predicted A*A*A. Do you guys think it's worth me applying? Or are my credentials not competetive enough?

Thanks in advance :smile:

I think it's definitely worth applying, as you have some really good grades there, and Oxford focus on GCSE results a little less than Cambridge. Make sure to study hard for any entrance exams you have, and practice for your interview if you get that far in the process. Your Personal Statement will also be really important to show your extended interest in English.
Based purely on grades, of course it's worth applying. They wouldn't hold you back. But they also won't help you much either as you still have interview, ELAT, and written work to come.

But most importantly, if you want to go you should obviously apply. The only certainty is that you won't get in if you don't apply.

The comment above says that Oxford focuses on GCSE results less than Cambridge. This is not true. But your GCSEs are pretty good by Oxford standards - probably around the average for applicants.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending