Micaimaan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So I currently have a part time
Job but it is stressful for me as the shifts are short and spread across 6 days a week. I work 6pm-9pm monday to friday and 10-2 on saturdays. I find it rather inconvenient because this means I have to constantly clock watch and I'd much rather do one 9 hour shift than three, three hour shifts. I am in my first year of uni and have been out of education for a couple of years now and all I want is to devote the majority of time to my studies. I pay rent to my mom which is also stressful because now I have no choice but to work. I am looking for a different job with more flexible hours. My maintenance loan was not enough as my mom could not provide me with proof of income so I am receiving the lowest amount, however my mom is trying to find the information so I can get an increase.

Any suggestions on how I can manage my stress or what would be a sensible thing to do?
Seancanucks
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
For perspective I’m 28, paying £200 rent a month to live at home with my mom after leaving a £20k/year job to pursue a degree in order to change careers. For me it made sense to stop working entirely, I don’t want to put in 60% effort and get 60% of the grades I want, I want 100% to give me the best understanding of my field. That means doing double the recommended hours of independent studying on a daily basis, sometimes pushing 14 hours in a day.

Not everyone can do this and that’s fine. For me if I were to be doing a part time job, the money would go towards non-essentials. I wouldn’t save it, I would want to reward my hard work of managing study and work with new clothes, expensive meals when I don’t fancy cooking, you name it. So in the time I could be working, I’m studying so that when I graduate I’m better prepared for a job that could pay me considerably more per year than this part time job could.

Work-life balance is important to a healthy mind and if you over-work yourself, your studies will suffer. I have a weekly activity that needs to be submitted by Saturday, if I’m working on the evenings, in lectures/workshops in the morning/afternoon, then when am I going to do my post-class work? In the middle of the night when I’m exhausted and desperate to write anything just to tick a box, robbing me of an opportunity to better myself and that’s the reason that we come to university.

If in the short term, making a sacrifice of your work-life balance leads to long term benefits, then it’s worth considering. If on the other hand the reward is short-lived, you’ll forever be chasing the balance and you’ll feel demoralised.

Ultimately you need to look after yourself, if your loan is under review, discuss with your mom if she could make adjustments to how much you pay. At the end of the day, if you aren’t eligible for the higher amount of the student loan, your parent is realistically being expected by the government to support you. It’s a tough situation to be in for sure, but unless your mom can provide the information you need to get the higher amount, ultimately she can’t expect you to pay rent money that you don’t receive because of her.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.18%
I'm not sure (26)
4.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (179)
31.74%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.13%
I'm not a current university student (267)
47.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise