ZatoPulse
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have decided recently that I want to persue medicine as a carreer path. However almost all universities require the UCAT exam, as I am past that deadline, what is my best course of action?
Invective
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ZatoPulse)
I have decided recently that I want to persue medicine as a carreer path. However almost all universities require the UCAT exam, as I am past that deadline, what is my best course of action?
The final UCAT sitting date is Oct 1st. I'm not sure whether you can still book the exam, though.

You still have one other option, however, will be difficult considering your sudden change.

You can choose the sit the BMAT exam; however, Universities that take this exam (Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL etc..) are notoriously difficult to get into and typically will admit those who have made a clear informed decision and have evidence to prove their commitment.

Nevertheless, if you have evidence of an informed choice, you now have one month to prepare for the BMAT exam alongside everyone else intending to apply. 1 month should be enough as the tested content is GCSE/ a little bit of A-Level (IMO).

However, if you're a graduate, you can apply to Cambridge A101, which doesn't take any entrance exam, but of course, will have more emphasis on the evidence of your commitment to medicine and grades.

Best of luck!
Dexter345
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yh registration for the ucat has closed so your best option is to sit the bmat
Invective
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Dexter345)
Yh registration for the ucat has closed so your best option is to sit the bmat
It's your only option if you want to apply for 2021 entry, assuming you don't already have a degree is to sit the BMAT exam sadly. But please do keep in mind that Uni's that sit the UCAT will not consider the BMAT. Only Uni's that consider the BMAT will accept it.

(Original post by Invective)
You can choose the sit the BMAT exam; however, Universities that take this exam (Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL etc..) are notoriously difficult to get into and typically will admit those who have made a clear informed decision and have evidence to prove their commitment.
Adding to this statement, do not be thrown off by this. Any Med school you apply to will be notoriously difficult and will only admit those who have made informed decisions to study medicine. However, this doesn't mean it is impossible! An excellent score in the BMAT and good reflections on some work experience/ research into why you want to do medicine should put you in a good place if you have the grades to match
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.23%
I'm not sure (59)
4.64%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (373)
29.32%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.91%
I'm not a current university student (622)
48.9%

Watched Threads