The Student Room Group

Diplomatic service: Civil Service Fast Stream

Hi,

I'm interested in this scheme: https://www.faststream.gov.uk/diplomatic-service/index.html because I like travelling/going abroad, but I'm worried about whether my vegan lifestyle/diet will be an issue.

e.g. when abroad, esp. in a meaty country, would it be rude if you refuse food offered/available to you be it at a party or diplomatic event, and how easy/hard would it be to a) go to vegan restaurants or b) have access to a kitchen so you can cook your own food?

I'm worried about being based in say an arab country and refusing to eat kebab or a camel or whatever at a party of the host embassy, and it blowing up into a diplomatic scene :/. Some people get offended if you don't try or eat their food right?

Anyone else in the diplomatic service got any experience/advice? Thanks!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by boulderingislife
Hi,

I'm interested in this scheme: https://www.faststream.gov.uk/diplomatic-service/index.html because I like travelling/going abroad, but I'm worried about whether my vegan lifestyle/diet will be an issue.

e.g. when abroad, esp. in a meaty country, would it be rude if you refuse food offered/available to you be it at a party or diplomatic event, and how easy/hard would it be to a) go to vegan restaurants or b) have access to a kitchen so you can cook your own food?

I'm worried about being based in say an arab country and refusing to eat kebab or a camel or whatever at a party of the host embassy, and it blowing up into a diplomatic scene :/. Some people get offended if you don't try or eat their food right?

Anyone else in the diplomatic service got any experience/advice? Thanks!

There are vegans worldwide. There are countries that are primarily vegan and a result of religion/cultural choice. I'm not sure you can put I'm interested in travel/Arab people eat Kebabs and Camels in the same post and make the impression you're wanting to.
Original post by wonderwheels
There are vegans worldwide. There are countries that are primarily vegan and a result of religion/cultural choice. I'm not sure you can put I'm interested in travel/Arab people eat Kebabs and Camels in the same post and make the impression you're wanting to.

Well arabs do sacrifice camels. If they don’t eat it, what do they do with the dead camels?
Original post by boulderingislife
Well arabs do sacrifice camels. If they don’t eat it, what do they do with the dead camels?

I'd love to see a source for that. I'm sure most Arab people would too. Good luck with your career plans.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending