action123
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What is core maths for alevels
Harris Westminster day that if u want to do 3. A levels you need to do core maths and epq alongside
firephoenix
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
hey! core maths is not really like normal maths to be honest. We learnt a lot about insurance and taxes and A LOT of standard deviation (which is in the math spec I think!). There are also general questions relating to right mortgage plans (or along the lines of using maths in real life). Hope this helps! anymore questions, ask!

(Original post by action123)
What is core maths for alevels
Harris Westminster day that if u want to do 3. A levels you need to do core maths and epq alongside
action123
Rep:
(Original post by firephoenix)
hey! core maths is not really like normal maths to be honest. We learnt a lot about insurance and taxes and A LOT of standard deviation (which is in the math spec I think!). There are also general questions relating to right mortgage plans (or along the lines of using maths in real life). Hope this helps! anymore questions, ask!
Thanks for the reply
I have a few questions:
1. What do you think doing core maths and maths for a level?
2. Is core maths assessed as a written exam?
3. So would you say that core maths is based on real life probems?
action123
Rep:
Thanks for the reply
I have a few questions:

Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for the reply
I have a few questions:
Core Maths is worth an AS - you wouldn't study it if you are taking A level Maths I would have thought.

https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/math...l-studies-1350
firephoenix
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for the reply
I have a few questions:

No problem!
1. to be honest...I didn't and I don't see a point in doing both together. However, depending on what you're thinking of applying to, you would need to check whether core maths would be more beneficial or EPQ (edit. yes those doing core maths wouldn't really have picked a level maths)

2. yes it is! it is 3 papers and I recall some being kind of a pick and mix for your teachers (basically they will pick the topics you do out of a bunch of options...well mine did)

3. yeah more real life situations and problem based (I just remember covering A LOT of insurance stuff:rolleyes:)
Last edited by firephoenix; 1 year ago
action123
Rep:
No problem!
1. to be honest...I didn't and I don't see a point in doing both together. However, depending on what you're thinking of applying to, you would need to check whether core maths would be more beneficial or EPQ (edit. yes those doing core maths wouldn't really have picked a level maths)

2. yes it is! it is 3 papers and I recall some being kind of a pick and mix for your teachers (basically they will pick the topics you do out of a bunch of options...well mine did)

3. yeah more real life situations and problem based (I just remember covering A LOT of insurance stuff:rolleyes:)
Thank you so much!
agnos987
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I don't think core maths is particularly difficult - a lot of it is really based on your intuition and GCSE knowledge (but some things you obviously have to learn and memorise). It wasn't very stressful like my other subjects and I never got set homework since it was seen as an 'extra' subject. I would sometimes forget to revise when I had a test and I still got like a B (I'm not saying don't revise lol, do some revision). This is just my experience though, it might be different in other schools.
But core maths don't give you as many UCAS points as EPQ.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads