UoB - Arts and Law
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by jun.1g)
title
Hi jun.1g,

I'm not sure whether you been Birmingham when you say UoB, but if so just let me know and I'll be happy to answer any questions about accommodation!

Molly
jun.1g
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by UoB - Arts and Law)
Hi jun.1g,

I'm not sure whether you been Birmingham when you say UoB, but if so just let me know and I'll be happy to answer any questions about accommodation!

Molly
So how is accomodation at university of birmingham like out of 10, in terms of sociability and quality etc.
UoB - Arts and Law
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
So how is accomodation at university of birmingham like out of 10, in terms of sociability and quality etc.
What I would say is that we have lots of different types of accommodation to suit all budgets and preferences, so there should be something for everyone.

We have shared bathroom or en suite, catered or self catered. There's accommodation located in our busy student villages, or accommodation closer to the city centre, there's even a brand new accommodation block located right next to the Selly Oak shopping park.

All of our accommodation is allocated by a random draw, not first come first served. This means that everyone has an equal chance of getting one of their top choices regardless of when you applied or received an offer.

Is there anything that's a particular priority for you in terms of accommodation? Perhaps then I can recommend a few choices.

- Molly
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It will depend what you get.
Halls or a house, in the city centre or a more residential area. On campus/off campus. catered/self-catered. Share with 1-2 other people or a very large flat with more people....
Kitty57_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
[quote=UoB - Arts and Law;91574778]What I would say is that we have lots of different types of accommodation to suit all budgets and preferences, so there should be something for everyone.

We have shared bathroom or en suite, catered or self catered. There's accommodation located in our busy student villages, or accommodation closer to the city centre, there's even a brand new accommodation block located right next to the Selly Oak shopping park.

All of our accommodation is allocated by a random draw, not first come first served. This means that everyone has an equal chance of getting one of their top choices regardless of when you applied or received an offer.

Is there anything that's a particular priority for you in terms of accommodation? Perhaps then I can recommend a few choices.

- Molly

Can I ask are you definitely guaranteed one of your 6 choices? I have seen on some other forums that people were allocated different accommodation they hadn’t chosen, which really defeats the purpose of choices in the first place!

Thank you
UoB - Arts and Law
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Kitty57_)
Thank you
Hi Kitty57_

That's a good question. Students aren't absolutely guaranteed one of their six choices, as the accommodation applications are sorted by random allocation software to make it fair for everyone. That being said I would say the vast majority of students do get one of their six choices. I do see people who are unhappy with what they have been allocated from time to time, but you have to remember that those who did get one of their top choices are unlikely to take the time to post about it on here, they're probably too busy packing and picking out stuff for their new room!

If you do get allocated an accommodation that isn't one of your choices you will be able to work with the accommodation team to try and find a solution. This might mean putting you on the reserve list so that when people defer or withdraw their place you could be allocated their accommodation. This is actually far more common than you might think! This is just one example of how the accommodation team might resolve allocation issues, but there are plenty of other options for those who find themselves in this position. Usually if you are patient issues such as this can get sorted out by the time you arrive at Uni, or very shortly after.

One final thing to note is that we have added 2 new accommodation blocks in the past few years, Bournbrook and Battery Park, this helps to regulate the demand for accommodation overall by making sure that particular accommodation types are not massively oversubscribed. We now have more en-suite and self catered accommodation than we've ever had so there plenty of choice for our incoming students.

I hope this is reassuring, but if you have any more questions about accommodation or allocation then let me know - Molly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (36)
17.06%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (62)
29.38%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (82)
38.86%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
12.32%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.37%

Watched Threads