The Student Room Group

Appealing a decision by the exam board

Hi everyone, I hope you’re well.

I am a 2nd year Mental Health nursing student. I recently failed a module after 2 submissions. I would ideally like to appeal this and request a 3rd attempt due to Covid-19, and other circumstances at home during this time.

I am wanting to proceed onto Year 3 like anyone would however I am still waiting for a decision from the exam board.

I’m just wondering if anyone has ever done a retrospective appeal against an academic decision made by the Chair of Exam Boards.

If so how did you go about this and what was the decision made?
Also how long does it take for a decision to come back?

Any advice or guidance regarding this process would be appreciated.

Please feel free to PM if you would like further details.

Thank you
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by goldfish6

I’m just wondering if anyone has ever appealed an academic decision by the chair of exam boards and requested a 3rd submission of an assignment due to extenuating circumstances.

Thank you.

To appeal you normally need new evidence or claim that the board have done soemthing wrong in their procedure or things beyond your control, normally health related.
What are you claiming the extenuating circumstances are?
You would normally submit your extenuating circumstances before submitssion and the usual solution is an extension. That measn the relevant time would have been before the second submission.

I assume your timeline is first sit- resit - want to appeal for a 3rd submission?
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
To appeal you normally need new evidence or claim that the board have done soemthing wrong in their procedure or things beyond your control, normally health related.
What are you claiming the extenuating circumstances are?
You would normally submit your extenuating circumstances before submitssion and the usual solution is an extension. That measn the relevant time would have been before the second submission.

I assume your timeline is first sit- resit - want to appeal for a 3rd submission?

I have updated my question and there’s more information on there regarding my situation.

I am wanting a 3rd attempt x
I have updated my question and there’s more information on there regarding my situation.

I have a feeling we have talked before.

I am a 2nd year Mental Health nursing student. I recently failed a module after 2 submissions. I would ideally like to appeal this and request a 3rd attempt due to Covid-19, and other circumstances at home during this time.

I am wanting to proceed onto Year 3 like anyone would however I am still waiting for a decision from the exam board.

I’m just wondering if anyone has ever done a retrospective appeal against an academic decision made by the Chair of Exam Boards.

Also how long does it take for a decision to come back?

Please feel free to PM if you would like further details.

Thank you

Given that universities either provided a safety net policy or decided not to as a result of the pandemic, that would have already been applied (or not if none was warranted) to your previous submission(s). You won't be successful on those grounds alone, and you will need to provide evidence of the issues at home during that specific time.

Keep in mind that healthcare courses are generally more stringent about the 2 attempts then retake/withdrawal process.

Have we talked before?
So what it turns out is you want to do an extenuating circs after failing the original sit and resit.
You havent said what your ext circs will be.
You just have to follow the rules. Its better in case of submissions you put in an ec claim before the submission as the normal solution is an extension , so they will question why you didnt do that.
You need to find out what the process is and make sure you dont miss any deadlines.
It is very very difficult to appeal an essay on academic grounds, but you should be looking at them having done things wrong or new evidence relating to health or personal circumstances.

The cv19 argument will have to stand out above what normal student experience will be. Look at the differences in health issues and the personal circumstances you refer to. You might as well put in a claim as you have nothing to lose at this stage. being a carer, having nowhere to study, people going bankrupt. mh issues etc.

Quick Reply

Latest