The Student Room Group

Kitchen door propped open

So I’m not sure what to do I’ve spoken to my flatmates a couple of times about the kitchen door being left open. This really is distracting when I’m trying to study as can hear people’s loud conversations, music etc much easily with the kitchen door open There seems to be no benefits of keeping the door open but plenty of negatives the noise distracts me from my work and can’t use the Libraries either as they are still closed due to covid. ☹️

I’ve asked them a few times to keep the try and keep the door shut as it’s distracting to me whist I’m trying to work but it inevitably gets propped back open again. Not sure what to do. 😬
Original post by Billy B
So I’m not sure what to do I’ve spoken to my flatmates a couHey ple of times about the kitchen door being left open. This really is distracting when I’m trying to study as can hear people’s loud conversations, music etc much easily with the kitchen door open There seems to be no benefits of keeping the door open but plenty of negatives the noise distracts me from my work and can’t use the Libraries either as they are still closed due to covid. ☹️

I’ve asked them a few times to keep the try and keep the door shut as it’s distracting to me whist I’m trying to work but it inevitably gets propped back open again. Not sure what to do. 😬

Hey @Billy B!

I understand that you are in a frustrating position - you have already politely asked them to stop which doesn't leave you with many other options
The only thing you could do would perhaps be to speak to reception about the door being opened - as it is a fire hazard (kitchen doors are normally fireproof), and they could maybe ask your flatmates to keep it closed for that reason

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
If it's a fire door (likely) tell them they'll lose all their stuff/won't be insured if someone sets something on fire and all the smoke damages the rooms (very, very common in uni accomodation! Especially with chip pans/oil). You could also report them for it based on safety, but they'll probably hate you for it. If they are genuinely forgetting, ask them if they have any problem with you sticking a reminder notice on asking people to keep it closed for fire safety reasons?
I'd say type an 'official looking' notice sheet that's formal and stuff about it being a fire door and it's a requirement to keep it shut and stick it on the kitchen door. Is it a uni/private accommodation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending